A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

2013 Allroad rack options??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch Mount

Has anyone installed or considered installing a hitch on their '13 Allroad?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by theSaint024
Here are some pics as promised. They are not very good, just taken with my phone in the garage, but they do show the different racks. I didn't have time for anything more elaborate. I tested the sound levels at highway speeds up to 90 mph and it is as advertised. I was listening closely for wind noise, even with the sunroof open. There was no noticeable noise.

First pic of S16 with Thule Echelon bike rack.
Second pic of S16 alone.
Third of S5 Flushbar (didn't fit, but S6 should).
Fourth of S53 Railbar (again didn't fit and contacts sunroof; S54 should fit with that caveat)

I also have an Allroad with the Whispbar S16 racks. Does your Thule Echelon bike carrier actually mount onto this rack in the slot?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arthur_a
I also have an Allroad with the Whispbar S16 racks. Does your Thule Echelon bike carrier actually mount onto this rack in the slot?
Not out of the box. I used a combination of adapt 1 and 9 kits to mount to t slots. There might be an all in one solution from thule but i didnt have one at the time. Also confusing the matter is that there are old and new kits from thule that have different parts. You'll have to see what's available now.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same here, even I am planning to go with the racks..
They look good.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Groovywhale
Has anyone installed or considered installing a hitch on their '13 Allroad?
I'm seriously considering installing a hitch on my Allroad. Did you end up installing one on yours? If so, could you post picture of the final result?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm seriously considering installing a hitch on my Allroad. Did you end up installing one on yours? If so, could you post picture of the final result?
I haven't installed yet. Still looking at options. Just like you, I would love to see how someone else has done it first . For now, I'm just using the whispbar rack system on top of the car. Post some pics if you happen to install also, and I will do the same. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

All,

I picked up my allroad on Sunday and base carrier bars today. Got the Audi OEM setup at a good price and the quality seems good. Haven't been out on the highway yet, but I have no intention of leaving the bars on the car when I don't need them, so noise isn't a big factor.

If anyone is familiar with the bike rack attachment, I reversed the driver side according to the instructions. Did I miss a step or does it "stagger" the driver side unit forward due to the front mount point being shifted aft? You can see from the second image that the front mount on the driver side overhangs forward and the non reversed unit overhangs aft. Not a big deal, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks!

John

https://forums.audiworld.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
https://forums.audiworld.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images   

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 05-01-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The install looks good. What fit kit did you use for the Whispbar? I was advised to use the K328, which looks very different than the one on your Allroad and I actually like the way your bars are attached versus the K328.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

The install looks good. What fit kit did you use for the Whispbar? I was advised to use the K328, which looks very different than the one on your Allroad and I actually like the way your bars are attached versus the K328.
Not sure you replied to me since I don't have the Yakima setup. They do look a lot like the Whispbar, but they are the OEM Audi racks from the dealer. They are very well padded and left not a mark on the rails when I removed them (critical). Noise isn't too bad either.

Got them for $360, which seemed acceptable compared to the alternatives.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thumbs down Thule ARB53 Aeroblade

I can't stand these. They look terrible and are so noisy they defeat the purpose of having a sun roof. I was thinking of getting the Audi version. Are they quieter?

Quick Reply: 2013 Allroad rack options??