A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Alu Kreuz installed on my 2014 Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alu Kreuz installed on my 2014 Allroad

I did this installation myself, with the car up on jack stands.

When removing the factory stabilizer, I noted that the Allroad has a metal skid plate protecting the steering rack (and other assorted parts). The rear portion of this skid plate is attached to the factory stabilizer using bolts which screw into two threaded holes in the stabilizer.

The Alu Kreuz does NOT have these holes. THIS IS SIGNIFICANT. When I phoned Eurocode regarding this, they said "Just attach the front portion of the ski plate by screwing the bolts in REALLY TIGHT, and don't worry about attaching the rear portion". I kid you not. That was their response. Tragic.

Clearly, Eurocode dropped the ball. The Alu Kreuz is not 'Allroad ready'.

I ended up drilling holes in the Alu Kreuz unit, but getting them in exactly the right place is no easy task.

And once you DO get the holes in the right place, you're going to need the proper nuts (diameter and thread pitch) to screw the bolts into.

As for the differences in ride/handling/road feel etc., the only positive difference I've observed is the placebo effect - drop $500 on a fancy bit of aluminum beneath the car, and you'll want to believe it made a difference.

I cannot discern any positive difference, and I'm fussy. I CAN feel the difference between tires at 33 PSI and 30 PSI. If there is any discernible difference with the Alu Kreuz, it's in the ride - some bumps produce a more 'jarring' effect.

If I had it to do over again, I'd save my money (and time) for something else. A VCDS unit has far more utility.

2014 Allroad P+, Glacier White/Titanium, Full paint, Sport package, Nav, Keyless, B&O, Rear Camera, Side Assist.

Last edited by roger_1; 12-10-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wrong Alu Kreuz model version or wrong install? I have a 2013 allroad and there is absolutely no 'placebo effect' - it's the real deal. I've been driving my allroad much longer (since 2013) before installing alu kreuz and the difference is night and day, after having the alu kreuz. You probably just installed it - and drove less than 100 miles, so you are not feeling it yet. Try going 100-120 MPH on a curve to test it or test drive it around the twisties for 500 or 1000 miles. I've done back-to-back testing on long drives with and without and it's a big difference. I would suggest going 1000 miles on different roads before even making any conclusions. You can't make a conclusion with less than 1000 miles or just driving slow or on a straight line. Or try doing 100 - 120 mph on a curving road and how beautiful the allroad hugs at those speeds with the alu kreuz. If you're just doing 50 mph, why bother even putting an alu kreuz? These after-market parts are aimed at improving the racing stability of the allroad beyond normal driving speeds.

Last edited by ayap; 12-23-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Wrong Alu Kreuz model version or wrong install? .
I think you overlooked that part of my message where I mention I spoke with Eurocode.

The Alu Kreuz I have is the one they sell for my car. They acknowledge it doesn't have the holes required to install the rear bolts of the skid plate. Aside from that, the installation is NOT rocket science. And yes, I used all new bolts, and torqued them properly.

Perhaps you'll post photos of your AK, installed, so we can see how your installer attached the skid plate.

In your earlier glowing posts about it, you didn't mention that its 'virtues' can be observed only at 100 mph+, around corners, and that the part is aimed at the 'racing stability' of the Allroad. 'Racing Stability' of an Allroad? Really ???

Hey, I'm happy you love your Alu Kreuz. Some others, including me, have not been terribly impressed. If I had noticed an improvement, I'd have said so. After all, I spent a not insignificant amount of money (and time) on it.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to hear a response from ayap.

I have considered the Alu Kruez before, as I'm not very impressed with my allroad's handling, but I would not at all be interested in an expensive bolt-on that's only noticeable right before I'm arrested.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do a professional install. I'm pretty sure you installed it the wrong way. The difference is night and day. I had mine installed by my audi dealer the right and proper way to do it. There are more than 30 other members here in this forum who have the same opinion as I have on the Alu Kreuz installed on either the A4, S4, A5, S5, and allroad. So, 30+ members here against you (1 person) - something is very wrong with your install. And over 100+ satisfied Audi owners in other Audi forums.

To anyone who see this post - just do a search on this forum. The Alu Kreuz when installed properly on the A4, S4, A5, S5, and allroad works wonders. I challenge you to do a search, and it will confirm my post on this.

Of course, you should try to run it at high speed (above 100 mph) and see that it makes the allroad stick. Why in the world would you even buy an Alu Kreuz if you don't test it at higher speeds.
Enough said of such foolhardiness. Even Audi engineers test their stabilizers at higher speeds .. AND THOSE ARE AUDI ENGINEERS !

Originally Posted by roger_1
I think you overlooked that part of my message where I mention I spoke with Eurocode.

The Alu Kreuz I have is the one they sell for my car. They acknowledge it doesn't have the holes required to install the rear bolts of the skid plate. Aside from that, the installation is NOT rocket science. And yes, I used all new bolts, and torqued them properly.

Perhaps you'll post photos of your AK, installed, so we can see how your installer attached the skid plate.

In your earlier glowing posts about it, you didn't mention that its 'virtues' can be observed only at 100 mph+, around corners, and that the part is aimed at the 'racing stability' of the Allroad. 'Racing Stability' of an Allroad? Really ???

Hey, I'm happy you love your Alu Kreuz. Some others, including me, have not been terribly impressed. If I had noticed an improvement, I'd have said so. After all, I spent a not insignificant amount of money (and time) on it.

Last edited by ayap; 03-13-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why would you only listen to 1 person - do a search in this entire forum and find out for yourself. There are more than 100+ satisfied audi owners using alu Kreuz on this Audi forum and 4 other Audi forums. Why listen to 1 person or listen to me. Use the 'search' function and see for yourself.

Originally Posted by 5DoorS4
I would love to hear a response from ayap.

I have considered the Alu Kruez before, as I'm not very impressed with my allroad's handling, but I would not at all be interested in an expensive bolt-on that's only noticeable right before I'm arrested.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Do a professional install. I'm pretty sure you installed it the wrong way. The difference is night and day. I had mine installed by my audi dealer the right and proper way to do it.

[snip]

!
AYAP, I have no interest in engaging in a battle of words with you. I posted my impressions of the AK for anyone who might be interested in reading them.

The installation is not rocket science. Over the past 30 years, I've performed (correctly) complicated repairs on my BMW's, and Porsches. This Alu Kreuz installation is straight-forward; it does not require special tools. An Audi dealership is no better position than I, to perform the installation. In fact, because I'm not working against a clock, it might be said that I have that advantage.

I spoke directly with the folks who make the Alu Kreuz, and they acknowledged it is not built with holes for the bolts to attach the rear portion of the factory skid plate.

You haven't said whether your dealer attached the rear portion of your skid plate to the Alu Kreuz unit. If they did so, then they had no choice but to drill holes in the Alu Kreuz piece, just as I did.

Please feel free to post photos of the completed installation, on YOUR vehicle.

As to whether the AK improves handling, I've not seen or read any objective reports (containing data), as to its performance. Like you, I relied on the positive subjective reports of a number of posters. I'd also read some posts by others who didn't see any difference.

In the final analysis, it boils down to our subjective impressions. In my case, I've endeavored to do my best to step away from any placebo effect, and evaluate the AK as objectively as I could.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered an Alu Kreuz for my 2013 allroad ------ looking forward to adding this.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TREGinginCO
Just ordered an Alu Kreuz for my 2013 allroad ------ looking forward to adding this.
I hope you'll update us when you install it, and have had a chance to drive your Allroad a bit with the AK installed.

It will be interesting to learn whether Eurocode is now supplying the AK with holes allowing for the rear portion of the skid plate to be bolted to the AK (In the same way it can be attached to the factory piece.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
I hope you'll update us when you install it, and have had a chance to drive your Allroad a bit with the AK installed.

It will be interesting to learn whether Eurocode is now supplying the AK with holes allowing for the rear portion of the skid plate to be bolted to the AK (In the same way it can be attached to the factory piece.
No.... It apparently still does not have the holes drilled for the steering unit skid plate. But, the shop doing the install is aware of this and know how and where to tap 'em in ----- from previous installs.

Quick Reply: Alu Kreuz installed on my 2014 Allroad