A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

breakpads and rotor suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breakpads and rotor suggestion

Hello,
my front wheels started squealing when i brake.During the last service Audi technician said that i have to change the break pads and rotors soon.called my local audi service center and they said it would cost $1700 to replace front and rear .
My warranty is completed now and i want to replace break pads and rotors in local mechanic shop.can you please suggest what break pads and rotors are good to buy and when i search online there are tons of suggestions and i'm not sure which one to buy. sorry i'm new to all of this.
model:audi A4 2014 -Quattro-AWD.
mileage-45k.
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcchai
Hello,
my front wheels started squealing when i brake.During the last service Audi technician said that i have to change the break pads and rotors soon.called my local audi service center and they said it would cost $1700 to replace front and rear .
My warranty is completed now and i want to replace break pads and rotors in local mechanic shop.can you please suggest what break pads and rotors are good to buy and when i search online there are tons of suggestions and i'm not sure which one to buy. sorry i'm new to all of this.
mileage-45k.
Thanks.

It's probably way too late to help the person asking this question, but for those who find the forum in the future ...

Friends who own two different automotive repair shops that cater to Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Porsche agree that Zimmerman coated rotors and Akebono ceramic brake pads are high quality replacements. That's what they use on their cars and that's what I put on mine. One friend also likes ATE rotors, but only if coated.
The following users liked this post:
ct_esq (04-16-2021)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to start a new thread but then I spotted this. A friend has a 2016 Allroad that he bought CPO ~9 months ago. In the months he's had it, the wheels have become black from brake dust. He has asked the dealer if a less dusty brake pad is available but they claim the only pad available for his car is what's on it already.

Has anyone found a decent low-dust brake pad for this car? Let's assume it doesn't need to be a high performance pad (he doesnt drive aggressively) and he can accept a bit more pedal effort. Any recommendations?

And separately I have to say Im really surprised at this. The brakes on my own A4 are completely the opposite. I can go for months without washing the wheels and they'll barely have any brake dust on them. I can only assume Audi changed pad spec with the B9?
Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Try out SP Performance for your brakes. I have been using their products for over 10 years and I love them. www.sp-performance.com
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Has anyone found a decent low-dust brake pad for this car? Let's assume it doesn't need to be a high performance pad (he doesnt drive aggressively) and he can accept a bit more pedal effort. Any recommendations?
I thought what I just posted was a recommendation, from two high-end shops that have both been in business for more than 30 years. Together, the four owners have at least 150 years of Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Audi experience. I paid attention to them because I know them and value their expertise. A lot of car enthusiasts have preferred pads and rotors, but none have the extensive experience of guys who have been working on customer cars day in and day out for decades.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GarySequim
I thought what I just posted was a recommendation, from two high-end shops that have both been in business for more than 30 years. Together, the four owners have at least 150 years of Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Audi experience. I paid attention to them because I know them and value their expertise. A lot of car enthusiasts have preferred pads and rotors, but none have the extensive experience of guys who have been working on customer cars day in and day out for decades.
I did see your post but you didnt say anything about the products' dust characteristics, which is what I'm specifically looking for info about (w.r.t. any brand, not just yours).
But I will take a look at those brands you recommended, thanks.

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 10-11-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kcchai
Hello,
mileage-45k.
Thanks.
I did rear myself with friend including deactivating parking break without software. We used Akebono ceramic composite, it cost me $200 +/- if i recall correctly. Dealer quoted $850.
(2014 Premium Plus)

PETER
Old 02-05-2020, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GarySequim
It's probably way too late to help the person asking this question, but for those who find the forum in the future ...

Friends who own two different automotive repair shops that cater to Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Porsche agree that Zimmerman coated rotors and Akebono ceramic brake pads are high quality replacements. That's what they use on their cars and that's what I put on mine. One friend also likes ATE rotors, but only if coated.
Here are specifics to help you:
1. Akebono ceramic brake pads, front, for 2013 Allroad purchased from rockauto.com -- $63.99
2. Akebono ceramic brake pads, rear, for 2013 Allroad purchased from rockauto.com -- $44.79
3. Zimmerman coated front and rear rotors for 2013 Allroad, purchased from https://www.cascadegerman.com/ -- $285.00
$393.78
It's an easy job for anyone with basic mechanic skills. If you don't do your own work, some mechanics will install parts you purchase yourself, some won't. Find one who will.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same dust concern.

Bosch Quiet Cast pads and Raybestos "Advanced Performance" rotors.

Dust problem solved and ain't nothing wrong with a solid disk of steel from a reputable OEM supplier to stop your Audi.

DIY is a little tricky on the rear of this car because you'll need a vagcom tool to retract the parking brake. Fronts are completely standard.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naughtie
I had the same dust concern.

Bosch Quiet Cast pads and Raybestos "Advanced Performance" rotors.

Dust problem solved and ain't nothing wrong with a solid disk of steel from a reputable OEM supplier to stop your Audi.

DIY is a little tricky on the rear of this car because you'll need a vagcom tool to retract the parking brake. Fronts are completely standard.
a little late, but for grease monkey's like me, vagcom not necessary. OBDeleven will get it done much cheaper, and if you know how to use allen wrenches, you can even manually retract like I do. For the squimish, manual retract is a sin. But I've done it a few times on my b8 without a problem.

Quick Reply: breakpads and rotor suggestion