A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

NGK spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK spark plugs

Installed second set of NGK Laser Platinum PFR7S8EG on 2015 Audi allroad (US spec 2.0 TFSI CPMB engine) at 60k miles (37k miles on this last set of plugs). Always use Motul X-Cess 8100 oil and Shell 93 octane gas (with a can of Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, or Starbrite Startron fuel additive from time to time). Car has mostly highway miles. Heat range on side electrode was correct, center electrode color and condition were normal, and there was dry, dark carbon on base ring just over one full turn. Secondly, noticed new replacement set (of exact same plugs) came gapped between .028" and .032" so left them as is. Also noticed old plugs did not feel real tightly seated upon removal (but no blow-by visible on crush washers) so recommend rechecking 22' lbs torque after a few miles/time has passed. Plugs were originally installed dry. Based on observations between the factory installed set of VAG OE plugs (changed at 23k miles) and this last set of NGKs, I am going to change the next set around 30k miles. Love how the car is running, just don't believe the life expectancy claimed for modern plugs based on amount of deposits seen.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know NGK recommends a dry install citing the material they use that is supposed to act as a release agent during turning, but how did that work out for you in reality?

Also, you say some felt too loose upon removal -- did you do the original install?

Mine are coming due next cycle.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default NGK spark plugs

Naughtie, I have changed spark plugs on many engines since the early 70s and I always used copper anti-seize. NGK's instructions are not to do this so for this car I used no oil, no anti-seize, no grease, nothing on the threads of the plugs. While removing this first set of NGKs (which I originally installed) there was no indication that the dry install caused them to seize or damage the aluminum threads. The plugs came out of the holes without issue. Like I said earlier, I did install the previous set of NGK plugs and torqued them to 22' lbs. but I did not go back to recheck the torque until they were being removed 36-37,000 miles later. My bad. It is not that they were loose, it was a 'feeling' that they were not as snug as they should/could have been. So, I am definitely going to re-check the torque on this second set of NGK plugs in a few weeks.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default NGK spark plugs

Originally Posted by Naughtie
I know NGK recommends a dry install citing the material they use that is supposed to act as a release agent during turning, but how did that work out for you in reality?

Also, you say some felt too loose upon removal -- did you do the original install?

Mine are coming due next cycle.
Yes. I have owned the car since new and this was the second set of plugs I've installed (same kind) but I did not go back after the first install to re-check the torque. They were a tad lose when I pulled them. I have since gone back on this new set to check the torque and they were a tad lose as well.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is that the way they are suppose to be than?