A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

1 year review...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1 year review...

from a loaded prestige in Manhattan gray. ~8k miles (I have another vehicle too)

"overhead" parking view, really nice as i'm OCD about my lines and door dings
zippy. no complaints about ride or handling (though i have it in sport mode 80% of the time)
air conditioning comes on ridiculously fast
I use the HUD much more than i thought I would (though see dislikes)
roof rack (OEM) can barely hear it when it's on. Not sure if it's the rack or the sound insulation.
fit and finish seems really well done every where (except paint)

Meh:
Wouldn't get ventilated seats again, can barely feel them.

dislikes:
paint has a few defects. more than my last VW did
foot sweep to open tailgate is borderline worthless. I can put my groceries down, open the door, and put them in faster than this thing can sense my foot.
Pandora and a few other apps on apple play are inconsistent in loading, lots of unplugging and plugging to get them to work
my polarized driving glasses can barely see the HUD during the day (unless I tilt my head)
had to replace a tire for blister in the sidewall, the sidewalls seem way too soft
start/stop is annoying. especially if i come to a stop for getting my mail, when I try to go again sometimes its on and sometimes it's not. Some weird sequence with the door as well, parking sometimes i'll open the door and turn the car back on when i intended to shut it off. I'm sure i could figure out the logic if i set my mind to it, but can't be bothered to overcome years of habits.

really important at first but now fading into the background:
Customized lighting. So cool, but really wouldn't miss it much. Still irks me that the B&O is a different color than the rest.
digital dash. once again, so cool and I show it off all the time but of limited actual worth over past dash displays.
I stopped paying for Audi Connect. Don't miss it at all and i'm really wondering how/why they charge so much for it.

I'll edit if I think of anything else.
(mind you i'd have preferred to buy an RS4 Avant, just in case Audi is paying attention)
Old 08-31-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a loaded manhattan grey prestige and agree the ride is great, the overhead camera is the greatest invention ever, I have the same issue with the HUD but don't find it very bothersome. It would be helpful if you could summon the camera from the steering wheel. The start/stop was annoying until I bought the OBD11 and now it only comes on if the AC is off. The one thing you didn't mention is the ridiculously small glove box, center console and horribly designed cup holders in the front. The rear cup holders are also curiously small (maybe designed for a Red Bull). I still love the car, I just wish there was more storage. I know there's the storage under the wheel, but a glove box should at least be able to hold a pair of gloves, which it literally won't very easily.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Having just come out of a (base) Q5 rental while having a repair done I can honestly say there's very few things I have to complain about now in my nearly loaded (no HUD or Adaptive Damper) Manhattan Grey AR. Granted I opted to ignore the HUD as I've heard it can get obstructive if you see a significant grade which we have a plethora of on backroads where we tend to vacation.

Pros:
Yep that Overhead parking display is incredible. "Drone Cam" makes parking absolutely simple and there's no excuses for being that weirdo parked sideways touching both lines.
Virtual Cockpit: As gimmicky as ones may think it is. The base display on the alternative is completely unacceptable, unless you'd prefer to play 8bit video games on your current console. Minding fuel consumption or catching the stereo updates was absolutely infuriating.
"S" transmission: If that doesn't take care of your performance issues you ought to be in a "S" class 6 cylinder (I'd be in an 6 series wagon if I could be)
Quattro Ultra: So unbelievable underrated and overly controversial to those who haven't given it a fair shake. After a 300 mile drive seeing ~40mpg it's hard to be sad.
Cargo Capacity: The trunk is longer/ seat fold further than the equivalent SUV. It makes it a lot easier stuffing gear for a weekend of camping into the hatch and still being able to see out the rear view.
Ventilated Seats: Try turning them off. I know there is a significant difference in a real hurry especially after the cars sat in the sun all afternoon. They do however require that you vacuum them to keep them from congesting with dust/debris. Honestly wish we had them in the rear.

Cons:
Cupholders... The drivers is not a problem as I take reasonably sized beverages with me, the passenger is goofy as the dash skews over that portion and makes it a bit awkward.
No Full Sized Spare: First World Problem, but I'd dump a bunch of cash to have a matching rim with full sized spare in the event I need it. Image is everything after all?
Navigation: Seriously... I zoom in to check if it's a one way street and "buildings" pop up in the way. It's infuriating as the arrows for one way street are as close to useless as they could be. Audi if you're listening figure your **** out, that pathetic attempt at indication is unacceptable.
No OEM Trailer hitch option in NA: Apparently we don't drag stuff around behind our cars here?

Side notes:
Interior lights: Blows my mind how many get upset about the B&O not changing colour while the cockpit stays white regardless...
"Performance": Can't wrap my head around the "not responsive" enough crowds complaint. It's a 4 cylinder and it's meant to be practical. Honestly test drive a 2L 4 cylinder wagon from any other manufacturer the allroad (especially in "S") is not underwhelming by comparison
Old 09-04-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlurredLines
Interior lights: Blows my mind how many get upset about the B&O not changing colour while the cockpit stays white regardless...
FIXED the B&O White only module by swapping in a RGB module!

Last edited by Fantasiamon; 09-05-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

A few points to add to the earlier posts:
I believe all HUDs are affected by polarized glasses (the kind that are actually projected into the windshield). Also, the base Q5s have entirely different lcd displays mounted between the analog speedo and tach. I think they are actually single color! My premium plus allroad has a full color center display and I did test drive a Q5 and was absolutely shocked at how bad its display looked in comparison. It’s kind of interesting to see where Audi cut costs on the q5. I had the ventilated seats on one of my Allroads and thought they were totally lame even after tweaking the fan speeds to max in OBD11.

Last edited by Vandelay; 09-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:15 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i already have the parts to do the RGB conversion (along with the hitch kit!) but haven't actually had the time to install them... too much travelling for work, maybe i'll have a chance with the cooler weather or i'll just suck it up and have someone install it for me.

As a side note, i am amazed that this car with it's 4 cylinder has almost the same specs as my 2001.5 S4 avant had stock with it's twin turbo 6. Really a sign of how far we've come.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just passed a year. Have a scuba blue prestige and 30500 miles. Not a typo. Very impressed with MPG. see pic. Biggest pro is ACC. Absolutely brilliant and I always use it on my drives. Could care less about the lighting around the speaker. Agree on storage and cup holders. That’s depressing.

Last edited by Seth Fiermonti; 09-06-2018 at 04:16 AM.