A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

2017 A4 Allroad reliability and the VW Alltrack

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 A4 Allroad reliability and the VW Alltrack

Hey All, I'm looking at buying a used A4 Allroad. I have a Jetta Sportwagen TDI right now that I'm getting ready to complete the dieselgate buyback on. I really like the Alltrack, and while on paper it certainly is faster than my Sportwagen TDI, you can really tell the difference between a TDI with all that low end torque vs the 1.8l gasser. You can't get any power out of the Alltrack until you rev it to the limit, which just doesn't compare to the TDI for city driving. Also, my wife usually rides in the back with the kiddo and she said the seats in a Q5 we tried were way more comfortable than the Alltrack and I'm sure the A4 seats are nearly the same. I REALLY liked driving the Q5 TDI, but the dated tech is pretty annoying and why spend so much on that when I could buy an Allroad with the latest tech for just a little more. Anyway, I'm now looking at used 2017 Allroads instead of the Alltrack. There are none I can drive anywhere near here so I'm going to have to travel to even test one.

How is the reliability on the 2017? I've seen reports of the transmissions failing both in the B9 A4 Allroad and the B9 Q5, which I think have the same transmission. I've also seen reports of failing MMI interfaces and random electrical problems. I've never had any issues at all with my Jetta Sportwagen which is a 2010 with 100k miles, so I really don't want to buy a vehicle that's going to end up in the shop, regardless of the warranty or out of warranty cost, I don't want the hassle. I'd rather just get the Q5 TDI or the Alltrack if I can't trust the A4 Allroad. What do you guys think? Is the 2017 reliable or should I get something else for a couple of years and buy a 2019 down the road assuming they'll have the new b9 model kinks worked out?

Last edited by herypderp; 08-20-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I can’t comment on any reliability items, as I have only had my allroad (well, two of them —long story) since December. But I will comment about the relative merits of the cars you are looking at. I had a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (bought back), then a 2014 b8.5 A4 sedan, and now the b9 A4 allroad. The torque of the older A4 on paper was equivalent to the TDI but the reality is that the gas engine revs so much more freely and more quickly that it is WAY more fun to drive. The 2017/2018 A4 engine is even torquier. It feels like 100 lb ft more than the old engine, but it’s only about 20 on the spec sheet. Audi is underrating their specs.

The allroad is rare, as you mentioned that you will need to travel to test one. The A4 sedan is going to feel very similar but a little crisper than the allroad, so it’s a good analogue in the absence of the real car. The seats are the same in both b9s.

By the way, my wife has the 1.8t golf hatchback and that’s a great engine too (the same as the alltrack), but you’re comparing apples to oranges with the alltrack vs the Allroad. Fuel economy is actually better in the audi too. It’s got an extra gear. And the seats are better in the audi too.

I have never driven the last gen q5 TDI but I have driven both of the gasoline versions. They are nice cars, but the tech is pretty old. I do like their seats a bit more than in the current cars.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-21-2018, 03:59 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have now had three allroads (the third yet to be delivered) and wouldn't hesitate a second to get another. Find a late built 2017/2018 and I'm sure you will be VERY happy with it. They're great cars and certainly don't disappoint.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by herypderp
Hey All, I'm looking at buying a used A4 Allroad. ....... There are none I can drive anywhere near here so I'm going to have to travel to even test one.
Post your location in your profile and you may get offers to drive cars from existing owners nearby.