A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

3M Paint Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

And I will add some more caveats for either a sealant or a coating - all of which are assuming proper prep work and all applied properly - either by a pro or yourself. They both go a long way in making it easier to wash and maintain a good appearance. The longevity/protection offered by both and the car's paint will depend heavily on how you maintain them.
Whether its garage kept or stays outside as well as weather.

You need to use proper washing and drying techniques as well as materials - no cheapo microfiber cloths or unclean mitts and towels.
Clean up those bird bombs as soon as you see them.
If at all possible, avoid like the plague the commercial car washes.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Well this wholeheartedly confirms my suspicions about what the dealership was looking to sell and what value it has.

Time to track down a detailer with a good reputation and Ceramic Pro 9H.

@snagitseven - noticed in your signature you've got both the coating and the Xpel, care to comment? should I be expecting to replace the Xpel with some regularity, or is it similar to the duration of the Ceramic coating when done professionally?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BlurredLines
Well this wholeheartedly confirms my suspicions about what the dealership was looking to sell and what value it has.

@snagitseven - noticed in your signature you've got both the coating and the Xpel, care to comment? should I be expecting to replace the Xpel with some regularity, or is it similar to the duration of the Ceramic coating when done professionally?
I'm not snagitseven, but Xpel is applied after paint correction and before the coating. I believe it has a 10 year warranty and unless damaged by an accident or some type of defect occurs should never need replacemnet.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BlurredLines

The Xpel Ultimate film should outlast the coatings and if car washes and such are avoided, it should theoretically be good for the "life" of the car.. Depending on how many 9H layers are applied, coatings should last somewhere between 3 and 8 years or so. They can last indefinitely if properly maintained and periodically refreshed with additional applications.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-01-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the explanations/links on sealants vs. coatings.

On my previous car, I clayed and did a 3-step clean/polish/seal regimen 1-2 times a year. It was 6+ hours of work (and then bi-weekly aqua wax applications after touchless or 2-bucket hand wash), but the resulting gloss was gorgeous; I regularly got compliments from strangers, even when the car was 5 years old.

When I bought my current car, my living circumstances had changed, and I no longer had reliable access to covered outdoor or indoor parking with power and water, so I signed up for a monthly subscription at a (partly-automated and not touchless) full-service car wash. The convenience can't be beat and the aqua-wax maintains water repellancy at least between weekly visits, but the visual effect isn't as impressive, and I'm picking up swirl marks noticeably faster than before.

Both methods have obvious pros and cons, and I'd like to find a third option for my next car, which looks very like to be an Allroad. Would a coating give me the gloss I've been missing, without the full-day bi-annual regimen? If so, is regular maintenance as simple as 2-bucket/touchless wash?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes and yes.
And once paint prep is done before the coating is applied, no more swirls to worry about.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Opticoat Pro

Originally Posted by Obsidian3K
Thanks all for the explanations/links on sealants vs. coatings.

On my previous car, I clayed and did a 3-step clean/polish/seal regimen 1-2 times a year. It was 6+ hours of work (and then bi-weekly aqua wax applications after touchless or 2-bucket hand wash), but the resulting gloss was gorgeous; I regularly got compliments from strangers, even when the car was 5 years old.

When I bought my current car, my living circumstances had changed, and I no longer had reliable access to covered outdoor or indoor parking with power and water, so I signed up for a monthly subscription at a (partly-automated and not touchless) full-service car wash. The convenience can't be beat and the aqua-wax maintains water repellancy at least between weekly visits, but the visual effect isn't as impressive, and I'm picking up swirl marks noticeably faster than before.

Both methods have obvious pros and cons, and I'd like to find a third option for my next car, which looks very like to be an Allroad. Would a coating give me the gloss I've been missing, without the full-day bi-annual regimen? If so, is regular maintenance as simple as 2-bucket/touchless wash?
I used to spend a lot of time cleaning and correcting/polishing my cars until I had Opticoat applied to my '15 991 TTS and a few cars since then. Opticoat Pro is quite amazing. Easy to keep clean and maintains a high gloss without polish. Perhaps the best part is that caustic elements do not etch into the clear coat and are easily removed. The warranty requires annual inspections and cleaning or corrections for $100. Best use of my time and money to maintain a better than new finish on my cars.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes and yes.
And once paint prep is done before the coating is applied, no more swirls to worry about.
I would somewhat disagree with "no more swirls to worry about." With paint correction done and coating applied, you do have a car that is more impervious to swirls, holograms, makes dirt slide off easier, as well as more protection against and more time until you remove the bird bombs. But, and I sound like a broken record, you still not to be careful about general good washing and drying techniques as that is where most of the swirls and holograms originate. It may sound obvious but everyone needs to use perfectly clean and good quality microfiber mitts and towels, clean those bird bombs before they etch through the coating, etc.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Would anyone have any experience with PPF installers in Roswell GA by the name of Clear Film or Exclusive Detail in Charlotte NC? I am in search of a high quality installer in the Atlanta GA area or NJ/NY/VT. I am considering Detailers Domain in NJ but am puzzled why they are $800 more costly than many other estimates I have received. Attention to detail and quality are of paramount concern to me so those of you with any intel, please sing out. Thx

2018 Prestige any day now.....
Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do you normally install a PPF before using something like Opti-Coat or a ceramic sealer?

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Protection?