A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Anyone doing 5k oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Anyone doing 5k oil changes?

I'm thinking my 2017 AR is going to be a keeper - not just for 4 years; I own it - not a lease. I already have Audi Care, I know the current oil change intervals are now 10k, but I'm going to change the oil every 5k instead, since a good part of the miles are in the city/traffic, as opposed to more open highways. I think it's not a lot of money for a little extra protection for the engine. Anyone else doing the same, or do you think it's wasted money?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're going to get a mixed bag of answers here. "engines today...". Personally, I feel the same way and I'll be doing this with my '18 AR.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I'm thinking my 2017 AR is going to be a keeper - not just for 4 years; I own it - not a lease. I already have Audi Care, I know the current oil change intervals are now 10k, but I'm going to change the oil every 5k instead, since a good part of the miles are in the city/traffic, as opposed to more open highways. I think it's not a lot of money for a little extra protection for the engine. Anyone else doing the same, or do you think it's wasted money?
It doesn't harm the engine at all, and it's good peace of mind.

I would classify it as a bonding activity and to be familiar with the car
Old 06-04-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, since I intend to keep the AR longer than the 4 years - with the proviso that it's relatively trouble free and no serious accidents, I intend on doing the 5k change.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. I do them myself. Not difficult, and very rewarding. Especially important if there's much stop and go, or in-town driving.

Last edited by roger_1; 06-04-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally go 8,000 miles or so. But I do like the response from Allroading17 that it is a Bonding Activity. Never thought about that before but if your Audi is a "Keeper" and you think of it as a friend, sounds like a good idea.
My A4 Cabriolet is now 8 1/2 years old and not one issue so far. I realize that I likely cursed myself by stating that. :-)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firefighter
I generally go 8,000 miles or so. But I do like the response from Allroading17 that it is a Bonding Activity. Never thought about that before but if your Audi is a "Keeper" and you think of it as a friend, sounds like a good idea.
My A4 Cabriolet is now 8 1/2 years old and not one issue so far. I realize that I likely cursed myself by stating that. :-)
I personally like the 5K intervals for the fact it doesn't put you out of rhythm for the factory recommended services and Audi Care schedule, if you bought that... (I would suggest you do)

That way you do 1/2 the oil changes and the other 1/2 are the services that things like recalls and updates can be performed. That way if something ever was to happen to your car for some horrible reason, you have a history as a good customer with the dealer and Audi NA.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but my intention with my new 2018 Allroad is to change the oil at 5k. I will change it myself and leave the oil filter for the entire 10k miles. I have Audi care , I will let them do the whole thing at that time. I think the filter can easily do 10k miles and it will be easier for me to just suck the oil out and add the new oil. I will use the recommended Castro Edge Professional which is crazy expensive. Any thoughts on leaving the filter there for another 5k miles?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by higby5
I know this is an old thread but my intention with my new 2018 Allroad is to change the oil at 5k. I will change it myself and leave the oil filter for the entire 10k miles. I have Audi care , I will let them do the whole thing at that time. I think the filter can easily do 10k miles and it will be easier for me to just suck the oil out and add the new oil. I will use the recommended Castro Edge Professional which is crazy expensive. Any thoughts on leaving the filter there for another 5k miles?
The filter is another $8-10 and is accessible without undue effort. To me, it seems not that expensive or hard to do both.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't aware that the filter was easily accessible . So you don't have to remove the protective plate underneath to get at it?

Quick Reply: Anyone doing 5k oil changes?