A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Detailed 2017 Audi A4 allroad review

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by voodooboy
Not sure if serious or trolling
I personally don't like it; not just because I feel the 'old school' grain/color go against the otherwise minimalist and modern interior elements, but also because the glossy laquer on top it is an absolute fingerprint and scratch magnet...

I happened to sit in a colleagues brand new Q5 with the open pore grey Oak wood trim. I think it looks/feels much better than the glossy walnut I have.
I have the same nougat seats and glossy walnut trim on my 2017 AR. I don't find it to be a fingerprint magnet, but at least when fingerprints are on it, because of the "wood grain," it's not nearly as noticeable as if it were a solid color and a quick swipe with a microfiber cloth takes care of that. However, I agree on the scratches - especially on the center console area, almost impossible to avoid over time. I am assuming a superfine compound would work - maybe.

I had the standard brushed aluminium trim on my A4 and I thought it was unexciting and bland, too "cold" looking for my tastes, so much so that I was considering replacing it with the wood trim, which I also had on my 2014 Q5. I think the wood trim "warms up" the interior, but understand that, as you mention, that it may not jibe with the minimalist type interiors. Purely subjective, no right or wrong. I do wish that more wood trims would be available as I also would have preferred a matte, rather than the glossy finish.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I have the same nougat seats and glossy walnut trim on my 2017 AR. I don't find it to be a fingerprint magnet, but at least when fingerprints are on it, because of the "wood grain," it's not nearly as noticeable as if it were a solid color and a quick swipe with a microfiber cloth takes care of that. However, I agree on the scratches - especially on the center console area, almost impossible to avoid over time. I am assuming a superfine compound would work - maybe.

I had the standard brushed aluminium trim on my A4 and I thought it was unexciting and bland, too "cold" looking for my tastes, so much so that I was considering replacing it with the wood trim, which I also had on my 2014 Q5. I think the wood trim "warms up" the interior, but understand that, as you mention, that it may not jibe with the minimalist type interiors. Purely subjective, no right or wrong. I do wish that more wood trims would be available as I also would have preferred a matte, rather than the glossy finish.
I think my Natural Gray Oak trim blends perfectly with the minimalist intentions of the designers. If it wasn't available, I likely would have gone with the walnut, and had it wrapped with a matte finish Walnut from by 3M, called Di-Noc. I have used them in our architectural practice, and the installer for the New York area says it could certainly be used for dashboard applications.

The glossy Walnut just reminds me of Ricardo Montalbano's commercials abut Chrysler's Corinthian Leather and wood inlays from the late 1980s.

The micro-metallic inlay from my 2011 A4 Avant was indeed too cold and boring for my tastes. the last thing I want is a lot of metallic trim to reflect sunlight back at me while I am driving.

Something like the Achat Gray Fine Grain Birch Natural Wood inlays from the A7 Sportback would be nice, as it gives you the warmth of brown wood, but again, without the plasticky looking high gloss finish.

Here is the link to Di-Noc.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3
Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by archrenov8
I think my Natural Gray Oak trim blends perfectly with the minimalist intentions of the designers. If it wasn't available, I likely would have gone with the walnut, and had it wrapped with a matte finish Walnut from by 3M, called Di-Noc. I have used them in our architectural practice, and the installer for the New York area says it could certainly be used for dashboard applications.

The glossy Walnut just reminds me of Ricardo Montalbano's commercials abut Chrysler's Corinthian Leather and wood inlays from the late 1980s.

The micro-metallic inlay from my 2011 A4 Avant was indeed too cold and boring for my tastes. the last thing I want is a lot of metallic trim to reflect sunlight back at me while I am driving.

Something like the Achat Gray Fine Grain Birch Natural Wood inlays from the A7 Sportback would be nice, as it gives you the warmth of brown wood, but again, without the plasticky looking high gloss finish.

Here is the link to Di-Noc.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3
With my new allroad (2018) I specifically wanted to get the matte wood inlays. Coming from a 17 with the High gloss inlays, the matte is much preferred
Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allroadrocco
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Audiworld, new to the group, found this thread and was wondering if you all could provide some wisdom and insight into my specific situation. I currently own a 2017 audi allroad. I purchased in July (7 months approx ago). The vehicle only has 2300 miles on it. I love this vehicle. Over the weekend I went skiing with the family and parked in a large snow filled parking lot. When I returned 8 hours later the snow filled parking lot melted and was now a thick, slippery muddy bowl. I knew I would be stuck. The mud was too wet, too thick and it didn’t look good. But I had an allroad so I gave it a go.
I switched to off-road mode, put it in drive and floored it forward - all 4 wheels were spinning as fast as they could, mud was spitting out all over the place. I was gaining very little ground, I then slammed the car into reverse and floored it backwards again all 4 wheels spinning - full power, mud everywhere, I kept doing this back and forth with full power and was slowly moving out of the mud which by the way was not that deep.
All of a sudden, I lost power, the engine shut down, a transmission error appeared on the dash and I was certain something was really wrong but then after about 30 seconds the car fired up and I continued the back and forth full throttle routine until I made it out of the mud parking lot. Victory ! I then switched to dynamic / sport mode for the concrete highway and drove home about 75 miles without any problems or noises. The car has performed perfectly since this happened (48 hours ago). The only visible possible problem is that when I switch to off-road mode, I get the following indicator message on the dash board:
“Audi pre-sense: currently restricted”. I am bringing the vehicle in tomorrow morning.
This is probably a computer issue ?
I am concerned about the transmission error I got when I was stuck in the mud?
i had the vehicle thoroughly cleaned top and bottom but I still notice a lot of mud underneath ?
Again, this was a low level of mud. But thick and wet. I was proud of the allroad but concerned with the error messages and why the vehicles shut down.
The vehicle seems to be performing perfectly. My allroad is very new with only 2300 miles.
And ideas ? Wisdom?
Thanks in advance for your help.
All my best
Old 02-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allroadrocco

allroadrocco
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Audiworld, new to the group, found this thread and was wondering if you all could provide some wisdom and insight into my specific situation. I currently own a 2017 audi allroad. I purchased in July (7 months approx ago). The vehicle only has 2300 miles on it. I love this vehicle. Over the weekend I went skiing with the family and parked in a large snow filled parking lot. When I returned 8 hours later the snow filled parking lot melted and was now a thick, slippery muddy bowl. I knew I would be stuck. The mud was too wet, too thick and it didn’t look good. But I had an allroad so I gave it a go.
I switched to off-road mode, put it in drive and floored it forward - all 4 wheels were spinning as fast as they could, mud was spitting out all over the place. I was gaining very little ground, I then slammed the car into reverse and floored it backwards again all 4 wheels spinning - full power, mud everywhere, I kept doing this back and forth with full power and was slowly moving out of the mud which by the way was not that deep.
All of a sudden, I lost power, the engine shut down, a transmission error appeared on the dash and I was certain something was really wrong but then after about 30 seconds the car fired up and I continued the back and forth full throttle routine until I made it out of the mud parking lot. Victory ! I then switched to dynamic / sport mode for the concrete highway and drove home about 75 miles without any problems or noises. The car has performed perfectly since this happened (48 hours ago). The only visible possible problem is that when I switch to off-road mode, I get the following indicator message on the dash board:
“Audi pre-sense: currently restricted”. I am bringing the vehicle in tomorrow morning.
I am concerned about the transmission error I got when I was stuck in the mud?
i had the vehicle thoroughly cleaned top and bottom but I still notice a lot of mud underneath ?
Again, this was a low level of mud. But thick and wet. I was proud of the allroad but concerned with the error messages and why the vehicles shut down.
The vehicle seems to be performing perfectly. My allroad is very new with only 2300 miles.
And ideas ? Wisdom?
Thanks in advance for your help.
All my best

You could have overheated the Quattro ultra axle, I wouldn't be concerned as long as it seems OK now. But to be safe I would take it to the dealer to check.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Allroading17
With my new allroad (2018) I specifically wanted to get the matte wood inlays. Coming from a 17 with the High gloss inlays, the matte is much preferred
Agree, given a choice, I'd prefer the matte wood inlays.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

"Flooring it" doesn't seem like the best idea--probably why it overheated.

The Owners Manual suggests that "Specific pre sense city functions switch off when the ESC is limited or switched off." Doesn't the off-road mode turn off ESC, hence the warning?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allroadrocco
The only visible possible problem is that when I switch to off-road mode, I get the following indicator message on the dash board:
That in and of itself is not a problem. The car is set to disable Pre-sense when you switch over to off-road mode (presumably so that it doesn't auto-brake or beep at you every time there is a rut or rock on the road. That being said, the way you tried to get out of the slush-filled lot (full power forward and then reverse, repeatedly) is certainly not the right way and I wouldn't be surprised if the differential has suffered premature (and unnecessary) wear.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In that situation, flooring it is absolutely the best way to make the problem worse. You want to use as little power as possible to move the vehicle forward. In extreme situations, you can keep your left foot gently on the brake as you gently accelerate with your right foot.

The only reason for rocking back and forth is if you need to slowly build momentum to pull up out of deep ruts that were created by excessively spinning wheels.

I have known people who have tried to muscle their way through low-traction situations who have caused literally thousands of dollars of damage to their German vehicles.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by archrenov8
In that situation, flooring it is absolutely the best way to make the problem worse. You want to use as little power as possible to move the vehicle forward. In extreme situations, you can keep your left foot gently on the brake as you gently accelerate with your right foot.

The only reason for rocking back and forth is if you need to slowly build momentum to pull up out of deep ruts that were created by excessively spinning wheels.

I have known people who have tried to muscle their way through low-traction situations who have caused literally thousands of dollars of damage to their German vehicles.
when i read the description of how the poster tried to get out of the mud, all i could think was "has this guy ever tried to get out mud before?" Flooring it in forward and reverse is about the worst thing you could do.

Quick Reply: Detailed 2017 Audi A4 allroad review