A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

The hitch I've been waiting for!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The hitch I've been waiting for!

I was pleasantly surprised to get an email today from the the folks at invisihitch (http://www.invisihitch.com/) announcing the availability of their hitch for the B9 Allroad. This is the one I've personally been waiting for, and I'm very excited finally have the hitch option I wanted back when I bought the car. I still wish Audi would offer their towing solution with all the MMI integration, but this option will easily meet my needs. It doesn't look like the hitch is listed on their web site yet, but the email listed a couple of packages one for use just with things like bike racks and a second package for towing that includes a wiring harness and controller.

Not my car, but I still love this color a year later
Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered one.

I was looking at a new bike rack to go with it... ironically
Thule uses an allroad for their 'model' car Thule uses an allroad for their 'model' car
, one of the few cars that can't be purchased with a hitch.

(edit: since purchased!)

Last edited by BSW; 12-23-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-21-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh man, I've got a solution already, but I'm super interested in this. especially the wiring solution. I'm also keen to have the expected clearance for tailpipes for a better system down the line. This is very exciting news. Biggest question is what class is the system?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is certainly good news. I've been waiting! Keep us up to date on this, please.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:50 PM
are
Audiworld Junior Member

This hitch looks awesome and it's functionality seems perfect, but installation requires adding a cutout to the gravel pan ... I have no idea, but I'd imagine that's less desirable from a functionality perspective than cutting the fascia for the installation of hitch like the Curt, no?

Does the OEM hitch also require a cut to the gravel pan?

If there's really no downside to it, than for me it'd be worth the extra cost versus the Curt or Drawtite.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

There is no OEM hitch for the allroad for the US, as there is no trailer prewiring and the car has not been tested for towing in the USA. So just keep this in mind when you add a hitch to the allroad. If you choose to two, I'd be cautious before towing anything too heavy with the car.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 AM
are
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant OEM in Europe - for the Euro cars they either cut the gravel pan or not. I'm just mounting a hitch for a bike rack; not towing anything. Just curious what others think re: the pros/cons of cutting the hidden gravel pan vs. making a visible cut in the rear bumper cover. Obviously the Invisihitch is far superior from an aesthetic (and probably weight) point of view.

Also, what do people do re: install? I would not do this myself. I'll ask the dealer, but I suspect they'll either say no or be super pricey.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by are
Also, what do people do re: install? I would not do this myself. I'll ask the dealer, but I suspect they'll either say no or be super pricey.
I haven't installed one in my AR yet, but for my S4 Avant, and one friends' RS4, we had it done at a trailer hitch shop in Redwood City, CA (something like A&B Hitch). They were awesome. Another friend had the local independent Audi mechanic install his on his RS4. And another friend went to Carson City Offroad (NV) for the Eco hitch install in his B8 AR. All are super happy with the installs.

I had a body shop try to install it in the S4 (car was already there for some paint work), but they messed it up so bad I had to start over with the hitch shop.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 PM
are
Audiworld Junior Member

So I bought the InvisiHitch and had it installed - seems great. Before buying I sent the installer the instructions for both the InvisiHitch and the Draw-tite to get their opinion re: the options - they strongly preferred the InvisiHitch. They felt that it was a much more secure hitch option. Some pics:

Hitch off
Hitch on
Rack attached
Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Where did you buy? Was there a 2" receiver option?

Quick Reply: The hitch I've been waiting for!