A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

I hate my Audi A4 Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I hate my Audi A4 Allroad

Vehicle sold…

Last edited by Silver23Allroad; 09-03-2023 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Eliminating personal details
Old 08-12-2023, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

As an A4 owner I do agree with you on the cup holders and center console storage issue. In fact there is a definite lack of storage overall in the A4. But I came from a 2010 A4 Avant so I wasn't expecting more with a newer version. For me it's more about the driving experience, and I'm pretty happy with that aspect. All I can say is you probably should have at least test driven an A4 to see what they were like. I would never order a car that I haven't even sat in a variation of it.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Storage, cup holders, agree on both. My B&O premium sound is very good, I find. I’d encourage you to try different source audio particularly any high res files you can test on it. I don’t use the panoramic roof. Somewhat agree on the leather, it’s not particularly plush, and that’s with the upgraded seats (US).

The ride is great, the adjustable suspension is great, the cabin sound isolation with the acoustic glass is great (prestige trim), the fuel economy is surprisingly good for me, the lack of vibrations and rattles is great, and the engine with a JB4 piggyback installed is great. Those are a number of “greats” to counterbalance the negatives there are.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikeru
As an A4 owner I do agree with you on the cup holders and center console storage issue. In fact there is a definite lack of storage overall in the A4. But I came from a 2010 A4 Avant so I wasn't expecting more with a newer version. For me it's more about the driving experience, and I'm pretty happy with that aspect. All I can say is you probably should have at least test driven an A4 to see what they were like. I would never order a car that I haven't even sat in a variation of it.
vehicle sold

Last edited by Silver23Allroad; 09-03-2023 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Personal information
Old 08-13-2023, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m a cyclist too and added a Stealth hitch as the first accessory. The installation was super easy. I also added a hard sided storage container, tied down under the hatch for gear, water and so on.

The wagon is perfect for what I need at this stage in my life.

Cup holders seem to be an American thing. Yea, the location isn’t great but I really don’t care.

Make a few modifications - it may change your view of the Allroad.

Old 08-13-2023, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Vehicle sold

Last edited by Silver23Allroad; 09-03-2023 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Personal information
Old 08-13-2023, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

B&O system can sound much better- and pretty close to a studio reference flat - in the allroad if you do the following sound settings:

- Surround OFF
- 3-D effect nearly off / one up from lowest setting
- fader with a slight front bias
- Sub +2 or 3
- Bass +2 or 3
- Treble -1
- used a wired usb connect to phone to car
- Pano roof cloth sunshield closed to reduce high frequency reflections

Try that out with some high res files... for whatever reason this system is unforgiving of compressed digital source material. (the local FM radio is nearly unlistenable esp. in digital mode... but Satellite radio stations via Audi Connect such as the high res Swiss ones sound phenomenal).

Why they don't offer a graphic EQ via the B&O DSP is beyond comprehension... but by carefully adjusting the above I went from disappointment to enjoying the system.

Beyond that, read the forum threads on replacing the A4 speakers... apparently big gains can be had for modest investment. Mine's a lease so I cant try that.

The following 3 users liked this post by JSchmo:
Flit04 (08-15-2023), Silver23Allroad (08-14-2023), uberwgn (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with everything you mentioned. Love the drive, not a fan of many other things.

I would add the fact that the Homelink button is on the flat panel screen, instead of being a physical button in the overhead console area.

Glad I leased mine, and I’ll thoroughly enjoy the drive while I have it.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver23Allroad
I bought it through the military/government program here in Germany. Before moving here I went to a local Audi dealership and test drove various Audi models, including a A4 sedan. They didn't have any wagons available at the time. That said, my main gripe isn't the drive. It is a fun car to drive and does a lot of things mechanically well. My issue is with some of the lifestyle aspect of the vehicle and the typical nature of a lifted wagon and most owners. I hike, trail run, and mountain bike a lot and usually have stuff in my car for any of those activities. The lacking a factory trailer hitch is a big bummer, especially since Audi has "hitch" accessories listed on their website under the A4 and my dealer told me it could be added after delivery, that it wasn't a port installed option. Turns out it isn't an option at all. The B&O sound is far inferior to the H&K in my wifes Volvo using the same music apps/files, etc. It's a major disappointment.

The main point of my post was to see if others have similar complaints and what were their remedies. Or what other cars did folks consider or replace their Audi with. Mostly it was to vent.
Regarding the OEM hitch, there is a company called europrice.us that sells the factory kits. I have inquired about the factory A4 allroad kit and they replied that it will soon be installed (see attached link to the thread "New Product - A6, S6, RS6, Allroad Hidden Electric Hitch Package" the user is Alex@europrice.us
The following users liked this post:
Silver23Allroad (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: I hate my Audi A4 Allroad