A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Thoughts on my new allroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on my new allroad

A couple of weeks ago my wife's birthday present was a new A4 allroad to replace her previous 2014 model. It was total surprise to her. I was a bit concerned that she would be unhappy, because only a few weeks before she had commented on how much she loved her car and didn't want to replace it "for years to come"! The pics show the day of delivery at home by Leith Audi Cary (NC).
Anyway, she LOVED/LOVES it.
Details of the car - 2017 (I had to order it back in March to guarantee delivery by her birthday) Prestige manhattan gray/nougat/aluminum with all the boxes ticked - full paint, cold weather pack, warm weather pack, sport pack, DAP, Audi Guard pack.
One thing I noticed when it was delivered - the headliner is light gray, when I was expecting black. The headliner in her previous AR is black and we really like it combined with the chestnut brown of the seats. Had I known it was going to arrive with a light gray headliner I would have ordered the rock gray seats (was 51/49 for the nougat, but this info would have tipped the scales). All the pics on the Audi USA website of the AR with sport seats show a black headliner. Can anyone else say what the color of their headliner is?
First impressions - a superb car. I thought that there wouldn't be much difference between it and the 2014, but they're completely different animals. More power, quieter, more comfortable, better roadholding and handling, and way more tech then the previous model. We took it on a 400 mile round trip to a 10k race (hence my wife wearing running gear in the pics, she wasn't expecting visitors!) immediately after delivery and the car felt like a large step up from the 2014.
Exterior - I prefer the look of the painted wheelarches (hence why I painted them on the dakota gray 2014) and the manhattan gray looks beautiful; it changes hue depending on the light - a mid-gray in bright daylight, tending towards midnight black the darker it gets; general impression - compared to the 2014 - is of a more refined, sleeker, sexier car; somehow it looks bigger than the previous model, but I know that's an illusion.
Engine - no discernible turbo lag (I haven't "pushed it" yet); noticeably more powerful, more than the numbers would suggest; smooth delivery; quieter and more refined (you always knew it was 4-cyl with the previous iteration).
Gearbox - I was concerned that reducing the number of gears from 8 to 7 would adversely affect performance - I was wrong; very fast and smooth changes; we seem to be getting better fuel consumption (though it's early days yet); love the paddles; don't like the parking brake button on the gearshift handle.
Interior - the cabin is a very nice environment; excellent materials throughout (no surprise there, but they do seem a touch above the previous); the combination of the nougat and the aluminum is very classy, almost high tech, comments above re black headliner notwithstanding; the rear cargo cover lifting with the tailgate is, though a simple change, a significant improvement; biggest gripe - cup holders are neither numerous nor well-placed, sitting right under the dash control, limiting height and width.
Tech - LOTS of it!; the virtual dash is brilliant, and easy to use; nav maps missing some key roads; ACC needs more getting used to to be useful - I can see how it would be relaxing but don't like that it slows behind a car in front without the driver being aware of it; sensitive keys - I noticed someone else had the same experience of coming back to find the trunk door open.

Last edited by jsl123; 08-08-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oops! Pics didn't get attached...
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on my new allroad-new-2017-allroad-arrival.jpg   Thoughts on my new allroad-new-2017-allroad-delivered.jpg   Thoughts on my new allroad-new-2017-allroad-delivery.jpg  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The cabin...
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on my new allroad-img_0374.jpg  
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on the Allroad, I really like them with the wheel arches painted body color...
Old 08-09-2017, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2018 you could not add the sport package to get the black headliner. That was an option that died off with the 2017 model year.

Certain interior colors came black. But I can't remember what ones.

All I know is, if you got black seats, you got a gray headliner in 2018. No way around it.... Made me glad I ordered in 2017... (Sorry)

I agree about the cup holders... Too bad.

Also agree with the luggage compartment statement... Funny thing is, it actually was a part of my decision making. I have a lunch box I put in the back every day to work. So, although small, it was better than the manual raising on my B8 A4 avant.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Noggybowl
In 2018 you could not add the sport package to get the black headliner. That was an option that died off with the 2017 model year.
But this is a 2017 model year car, or so I was lead to believe, and the order relates to the 2017 spec, not a 2018 spec (and the price was accordingly slightly higher than a fully specced 2018 car)...
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsl123
But this is a 2017 model year car, or so I was lead to believe, and the order relates to the 2017 spec, not a 2018 spec (and the price was accordingly slightly higher than a fully specced 2018 car)...
Ah, yeah... I missed that... It should have had a black headliner with sport unless it was Atlas beige or Rock Gray.

And, with Warm weather, you can't get Atlas Beige.

Weird...

The only thing I can think is that it's a 2018... Seems like March was late to order a 2017? What does the window sticker say? Or the VIN should have a "H" in it. If the VIN has an "I" in the 10th position, it should be a 2018.

Last edited by Noggybowl; 08-09-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, Noggybowl, that's interesting info. The VIN has an H at the 10th position.
I've enquired of Audi USA as to what the story is - awaiting their response.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Noggybowl
Ah, yeah... I missed that... It should have had a black headliner with sport unless it was Atlas beige or Rock Gray.

And, with Warm weather, you can't get Atlas Beige.

Weird...

The only thing I can think is that it's a 2018... Seems like March was late to order a 2017? What does the window sticker say? Or the VIN should have a "H" in it. If the VIN has an "I" in the 10th position, it should be a 2018.
2018 is J. The letter I is not used in VINs.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsl123
A couple of weeks ago my wife's birthday present was a new A4 allroad to replace her previous 2014 model. It was total surprise to her. I was a bit concerned that she would be unhappy, because only a few weeks before she had commented on how much she loved her car and didn't want to replace it "for years to come"! The pics show the day of delivery at home by Leith Audi Cary (NC).
Anyway, she LOVED/LOVES it.
Details of the car - 2017 (I had to order it back in March to guarantee delivery by her birthday) Prestige manhattan gray/nougat/aluminum with all the boxes ticked - full paint, cold weather pack, warm weather pack, sport pack, DAP, Audi Guard pack.
One thing I noticed when it was delivered - the headliner is light gray, when I was expecting black. The headliner in her previous AR is black and we really like it combined with the chestnut brown of the seats. Had I known it was going to arrive with a light gray headliner I would have ordered the rock gray seats (was 51/49 for the nougat, but this info would have tipped the scales). All the pics on the Audi USA website of the AR with sport seats show a black headliner. Can anyone else say what the color of their headliner is?
First impressions - a superb car. I thought that there wouldn't be much difference between it and the 2014, but they're completely different animals. More power, quieter, more comfortable, better roadholding and handling, and way more tech then the previous model. We took it on a 400 mile round trip to a 10k race (hence my wife wearing running gear in the pics, she wasn't expecting visitors!) immediately after delivery and the car felt like a large step up from the 2014.
Exterior - I prefer the look of the painted wheelarches (hence why I painted them on the dakota gray 2014) and the manhattan gray looks beautiful; it changes hue depending on the light - a mid-gray in bright daylight, tending towards midnight black the darker it gets; general impression - compared to the 2014 - is of a more refined, sleeker, sexier car; somehow it looks bigger than the previous model, but I know that's an illusion.
Engine - no discernible turbo lag (I haven't "pushed it" yet); noticeably more powerful, more than the numbers would suggest; smooth delivery; quieter and more refined (you always knew it was 4-cyl with the previous iteration).
Gearbox - I was concerned that reducing the number of gears from 8 to 7 would adversely affect performance - I was wrong; very fast and smooth changes; we seem to be getting better fuel consumption (though it's early days yet); love the paddles; don't like the parking brake button on the gearshift handle.
Interior - the cabin is a very nice environment; excellent materials throughout (no surprise there, but they do seem a touch above the previous); the combination of the nougat and the aluminum is very classy, almost high tech, comments above re black headliner notwithstanding; the rear cargo cover lifting with the tailgate is, though a simple change, a significant improvement; biggest gripe - cup holders are neither numerous nor well-placed, sitting right under the dash control, limiting height and width.
Tech - LOTS of it!; the virtual dash is brilliant, and easy to use; nav maps missing some key roads; ACC needs more getting used to to be useful - I can see how it would be relaxing but don't like that it slows behind a car in front without the driver being aware of it; sensitive keys - I noticed someone else had the same experience of coming back to find the trunk door open.
I also have the manhattan gray with full paint fenders and I love it. The unpainted fenders always rubbed me the wrong way. Initially I didn't get them painted, selecting the color that was closest to the cladding color, but I eventually decided that it would annoy me every day if I didn't spring for the full paint. Changed my order before production and am very happy I did. I went with the rock gray/granite gray interior with gray oak inlays. Of course this combo comes with the gray headliner. I like the light interior in general, makes the car feel more spacious. Now for the things that I dislike: top of the list is the shifter. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it (what the hell were they thinking?). I have yet to figure out what makes the parking brake automatically come off when I shift into gear. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes I have to give it gas and it comes off or press the button. I can't figure it out. Next is the storage space: very little for the driver. I know there's a separate compartment next to the steering wheel, but the actual glove box is pathetically small. I can't keep much more than a sheet of paper in there. And the cupholders are horribly placed in front as you mention, and the ones in the back have such a small diameter, you'd be lucky to fit an old-fashioned coke bottle in there. Virtually no storage under the armrest either. Oh well, first world problems, I guess. I think the tech I like the most, and I know there are other cars that have it, is the overhead camera. I'm very **** about avoiding door dings and the overhead view is absolutely brilliant at allowing you to place your car exactly where you want it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my new allroad