A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

$100 over invoice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-1999, 06:19 PM
marc

Default $100 over invoice?

The site is called http://www.carsdirect.com.<p>They promise $100 over invoice on any car. Has anyone done business with them before? Judging from the posts here, $1000 over invoice is much more likely. =(<p>/marc
Old 04-03-1999, 06:45 PM
DG

Default They won't do it on Audi, I promise...

Audi doesn't have holdback. (I assume you know what that is. Audi is unique in not having it, and they lose sales because of it from uninformed people who get mad when they can't get a "good" deal on an Audi.)
Old 04-03-1999, 08:20 PM
DG

Default Actually, they are promising AT invoice -ZERO DEALER PROFIT!

If you go to their site, they do say that some cars that are in demand, are in short supply, or whatever, aren't included in their service. When you first start out with their site, they seem to imply that EVERYTHING is included, and then the caveats start.<p>HOWEVER, the site does allow you to put in your request for Audi A4 prices (I did 2.8Q), and it tells you they will get it for exactly invoice. Interesting, but I highly doubt it would happen, because the dealer would make NOTHING! Unless they happen to have an old car that has been sitting on the lot for a long time (my dealer has one of these), and it happens to match your option specifications, and they are ready to get rid of it at invoice or less, no sane dealer will go for this. Dealers of common American cars, like Explorers, for example, would jump at it, because of higher volume sales and holdback.<p>Now, if this is a service just starting up, and they have lots and lots of money, and are willing to subsidize deals themselves just to get experience and make a name for themselves, I guess it could happen.<p>Anybody want to be a guinea pig and go for it?<p>Does Jim H or another salesman have any opinions on this?
Old 04-04-1999, 09:03 AM
marc

Default what kind of audi a4 is on the lot (that can't be sold)? I'm interested! (n.t)

i'm interested in the car that your dealer would let go for invoice. (it's probably not the best color combination - right?) any details you could pass along,I would appreciate!<p><p>/marc<br>
Old 04-04-1999, 09:05 AM
marc

Default no dealer hold-back? Is this true?

can anyone else confirm this? I have never heard of any auto manufacturer not passing on extra dollars in one way or another. I don't believe it! <p>signed,<br>un-educated buyer who got pissed off when my audi dealer wouldn't go below $1000 of msrp. =)<br>
Old 04-04-1999, 09:20 AM
DG

Default Unsold A4 Details

It's an early 98 ("98.0") A4 2.8 Quattro, Tip, Sunroof, Bose, Leather, and most other options. Perfectly equipped by most peoples standards. The problem seems to be that its exterior color is Aquarell. This was a popular color about 3 years ago, but interest in it seems to have died. Its been on the lot since approx. September 1997. That's 1 1/2 years now. I'm pretty sure they would accept far less than invoice for it just to get it off the lot.
Old 04-04-1999, 09:24 AM
DG

Default Try searching archives for "holdback". Also....

Some of the various pricing services may have info on this. (Try edmunds.com, for example, to see if they discuss holdback).<p>Because of the holdback issue, on a $30,000 BMW 3-series vs. A4 purchase, if you offer 1,500 over on each: With the A4, the dealer makes 1,500. With the BMW, the dealer makes 1,500 plus 2.2% holdback, or about$2,100. <p>Audi just might sell more cars if they would join the crowd and have dealer holdback! (Because then people would think they were getting a better deal). It also a reason that Audi's prices look a little better at the MSRP level than competitor's prices. Audi doesn't have that built in 2 to 3 percent adder to pay back to the dealer.
Old 04-04-1999, 09:25 AM
DG

Jim H or other dealer - This is your opportunity to respond
Old 04-04-1999, 09:29 AM
DG

Default Here's Your Link

<br> Link Below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/holdback_list.html">Edmunds Holdback List</a></li></ul>
Old 04-04-1999, 05:48 PM
marc

Default thanks - you've been very helpful.

<br>thanks - you've been very helpful

Quick Reply: $100 over invoice?