A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

*woot* my Tech Article is up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default *woot* my Tech Article is up!

I wonder what the subject is???
lol, likely the fist TA authoured by a non-Audi owner.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng96.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng96.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up
Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome write up. hopefully some of the new members make use of it. :-)
Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default eh, why are you neglecting to mention specific products. i find that annoying.

"Another product exists that is based not on harsh solvents but on esters used in industry for metal cleaning. It is slow-acting and gentle with the added benefit of reconditioning seals. "

= Auto-Rx

then just say it.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Castrol is mentioned as the Official Oil of Audi.Other brands are avoided as they don't sponsor AW.

People here buy a lot of ARX, Frank should sponsor an ad, but in absence of that relationship, I don't see how pimping his product by name is appropriate. Castrol sponsors Bobistheoilguy and would probally do so here if approached. Their relationship with Audi and products specific to Audi is enough to merit mention here. It's a call that I made personally and I stick by it. I might actually suggest an AW sponsorship to my Castrol rep next time we speak.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, if people want to see brands, they can consult Audi's published oil lists.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i could care less if someone sponsers this site or not...

a recommended product is technical information that a enthusiast should have access to, regardless of the politically-correct-ethical-moral-advertizing-crap.

sending a reader on a wild goose chase to hunt down what product you are vaguely referring to does no one any good, especially in a tech article. be clear and specific.
nothing is worse than a tech article with incomplete/censored information, like missing bolt torques, part numbers, or product specifics.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts
Default My dad blew up a motorcycle engine using the B-12 technique you mention

Some how a little bit of it got into the combustion chamber and the motor accelerated wildly out of control until it threw a rod.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AW is paid for by it's sponsors. Not pimping retail product by name's different than "missing "info

I might be a bit more sensitive to the costs of keeping a site up because Bob's has issues with it, accepting donations, ARX/Frank paying for banners ads and now, a welcome Castrol sponsorship. AW is big and maybe indifferent to small ads from ARX, but the issue should be handled with appropriate action. How could AW recruit bigger sponsors if they are just giving away advertising to smaller companies? You reallyu should rethink your comparison to "missing info" or part numbers ARX has been purposely omitted. If Kris agreed with you and specificly thought the name belonged there, he is welcome to insert it, perhaps you should direct your opinion toward him. BTW- when is the last time you donated money to an non-**** website? If you are tight on cash, I'll make a small donation on your behalf.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not in the oil!?SeaFoam can hydrolock an engine as described use here.I use spray in intakes, a lot.

I seriously don't see how an oil additive can make the engine rev...in a 4-stroke. Using it in the intake like Seafoam can make it accelerate somewhat. Putting on a thinking cap, there must be another reason the engine acceleratd (like throttle cable/stuck...something. Maybe there was too much in the engine and it burned at once??? Still, I'm assuming it was not in the oil as I was talking about.