A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

'02 A4 3.0 qms test drive: rants and raves

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default '02 A4 3.0 qms test drive: rants and raves

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth after having had a chance to test drive a 2002 A4 3.0 quattro 6-speed at Pacific Porsche/Audi in Hermosa Beach, CA. The car I drove was a loaded 3.0 qms model in light silver with black leather interior. It came with most of the available options which pushed the MSRP to about $38,600. If this car had been Tiptronic and included additonal options like the navigation sytem, it would have easily surpassed the $40K mark.

Here are my random observations from driving the car and comparing it side by side with a silver 2001 model parked next to it.

First, the good stuff:

- The newfound thrust from the 3.0 V6 is very evident. The engine has a sporty growl and feels much quicker and smoother than the old 2.8 motor.

- Handling and chassis composure is excellent. This is a true sports sedan which should not be compared to the likes of Acura TL or Nissan Maxima.

- The ride is sport sedan firm but not punishing. I would rate the ride quality better than a 3-Series with the sport suspension. However, it should not compared to a Lexus ES300 for smoothness.

- The exposed twin tailpipes adds a nice sporty touch to the rear end. The rear end looks fine in person.

- The shifting action seemed nice and fluid. However, I did not get a chance to take it out of 3rd gear during my short test drive.

- The digital compass built into the rear view mirror is a nice touch. I think it's optional, part of the Premium Package.

- The aluminum trim on the 1.8T models actually looks like aluminum now. I still prefer wood trim, but the 1.8T has a more upscale look to the interior compared to the outgoing 1.8T.

Now, some not so good stuff:

- The exterior design is nice all around from the roof all the way down to the bumpers. The shape is a little more angular and the front main grille resembles the one from the A6 4.2. I also like the aggressive looking headlight cluster. However, it seems like Audi designers didn't know how to finish the last several inches of the body below the bumpers and the doors.

- The dark gray belt below the doors and the front and rear bumpers is much more prominent than before. In this respect, the new A4 looks like a lot like the European trim A6. I think because of the high beltline, the car would actually look better with a portion of
the lower cladding in black or dark gray, but the height chosen to be gray colored is simply too much. This is especially noticable in the back where the rear bumper is painted gray practically from the middle down. I think the car would have looked much better if an extra 2-3" of the lower body was body colored. Perhaps Audi is saving this for a midlife makeover.

- The interior is not much different from the '01 model. I actually prefer the center console design of the '01 model, but the placement of some of the switchgear seems to be improved.

- The new Symphony II radio has controls which seem less intuitive than the original Symphony radio, but I an sure one will get used to the new buttons quickly.

- Rear passenger space is only marginally better than before. I am 5'11" and when I adjusted the driver's seat to my liking, my knees were barely touching the back of the driver's seat when I got in the back. It definitely doesn't feel like the new car has 1.6" more kneeroom. I would say that the interior is still more cramped than the E46 BMW 3-Series.

- The red gauge needles are always backlit. I found it a little distracting driving in daylight.

- The chrome ring around the gauges is a nice touch, but it's too bad Audi eliminated 2 of the secondary small gauges.

- Gas mileage (18 city/25 highway) is pretty bad for a car this size. The 4150-lb A8 L in the showroom gets nearly the same mileage (17/25) with a Tiptronic. By comparison, a BMW 330i sticke gets 20/29.

- Cupholder design in the front still seems like an afterthought. The in-dash cupholder is in the same location as before. There are two small cupholders placed inside the folding center armrest. This means that to use them, you have to drive with the armrest door raised open, which would look awkward. The credit card drawer is a nice new feature.

In summary, the new car is dynamically superior to the outgoing model. Aesthetically, the new design was somewhat of a letdown to me. Given the close proximity of the price to an S4, I would have to pick an S4 over a fully loaded 3.0 qms.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:34 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way overpriced. After riding in an Acura 3.2 CL Type S all weekend, theres no way I'd buy the 02 A4
Old 10-15-2001, 09:35 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default One thing to note....

While the cupholder is still in the same place on the console, it DOES have a shelf/plate now to redirect spills away from the head unit. Looks like it'll pour into the shift boot now :/
Old 10-15-2001, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CL = no quattro, main reason why I bought my Audi.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:38 AM
Elder Member

Default Thats true....I'm in an area where I don't need it, my A4 is FWD.

Now that I have driven Quattro, I love it and wished I had it, but, its not a nessessity for me.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:39 AM

Default I love it when you want a +ve effect, you qoute invoice (esp. comparing to Bimmer) but for a -ve

effect, you quote MSRP. Just like when we buy a car we absolutely brag about how much over invoice we bought it at but yet when we sell, we point to KBB and quote MSRP.

In anycase, I am willing to bet the 2003 S4 is going to be much more than a loaded 3.0 A4. So, that makes the 3.0 A4 more attractive than the 2.7 S4. Very much like the 2.8 A6 vs 2.7 A6 or the 4.2 A6.

Silly I think to compare a brand new 2002 A4 to the same body style 2002 S4.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:44 AM

Default eMKay - I bought my car about the same time you were wrestling with your purchase decision and

yes I was set on getting AWD. But if you look at the big picture, for AWD and a *nice* interior, you got to ask yourself, are we getting shafted by Audi. 1.8T reasonably equipped is around $30k. Power is not everything, but when you look at what VW is getting and also the C Class, 3 Series, X Type, S60s, all have sixers and much more HP.

Besides, the only other mainstream AWD player is Subaru and looks like 99.99 percent of the world population is doing fine without AWD.

Sometime I wonder.... is AWD and a nice interior really all that? What about quality and service? Performance or luxury? 30k and no leather nor power seat.

Having too much time at work today -jlim
Old 10-15-2001, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

is it 2003 s4 or 2004 s4?
Old 10-15-2001, 09:47 AM
Elder Member

VW Passat now has the W8 and 4-motion...they run low 30's and the interior is acceptable
Old 10-15-2001, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BUT

besides your point, I think the new cupholder is actually worse than the old one. I put my bottle water in it to test it out and instead of dropping into the cupholder like the previous one, it more or less sits on top of it now. I don't like how the arm that pops out goes up instead of down.

and the credit card thing...it's going to be used more as a change drawer I think. who is going to leave their credit cards in their car and not in their wallet and what would a credit card in the car be useful for other than gas?

Quick Reply: '02 A4 3.0 qms test drive: rants and raves