A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 A4 won't start after throttle body replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 A4 won't start after throttle body replacement

Greetings,

I have a 1.8T '99 A4 B5 that recently shut off while driving after several weeks of somewhat rough idle and stuttering at high RPM's. Took it to a mechanic who claimed the throttle body likely needed to be replaced because of error codes and him being unable to perform initialization. He quoted me $650 for throttle body replacement after non definitive and speculative diagnosis, so I held off on having him do the repair. It might be worth noting that the vehicle has a chip tune, though I don't really know anything about it since it was already there when I bought the car a year ago.

Afterwards, the car would try to turn over but not start, or would die shortly after starting.

I have replaced the throttle body myself, but now the car won't start at all, and acts as if the battery was completely dead. Have charged with jumper cables and another vehicle, which has brought lights and accessory electrical components back to life but the car still won't start.

Also, while the car was charging/off, there was a strange white noise coming from what seemed like inside or behind the engine.

Does anyone know what might be going on, or what next steps might be?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bebigi
Greetings,

I have a 1.8T '99 A4 B5 that recently shut off while driving after several weeks of somewhat rough idle and stuttering at high RPM's. Took it to a mechanic who claimed the throttle body likely needed to be replaced because of error codes and him being unable to perform initialization. He quoted me $650 for throttle body replacement after non definitive and speculative diagnosis, so I held off on having him do the repair. It might be worth noting that the vehicle has a chip tune, though I don't really know anything about it since it was already there when I bought the car a year ago.

Afterwards, the car would try to turn over but not start, or would die shortly after starting.

I have replaced the throttle body myself, but now the car won't start at all, and acts as if the battery was completely dead. Have charged with jumper cables and another vehicle, which has brought lights and accessory electrical components back to life but the car still won't start.

Also, while the car was charging/off, there was a strange white noise coming from what seemed like inside or behind the engine.

Does anyone know what might be going on, or what next steps might be?

Thanks in advance
Throttle body probably needs to be adapted. This is usually done with vagcom software but this may work:

1. Turn the key to the "ON" position, BUT DO NOT START THE CAR!
2. Leave the key in the "ON" position for 3 minutes WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING.
3. After 3 minutes, turn key to the "OFF" position, then start the car as normal.