A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2001 A4 1.8TM Reeeally weird coolant leak, help please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should add, the malfunction indicator lamp came on and was blinking when this problem occured. In the manual it says the catalytic converter could be damaged?? would a damaged cat really make it run that rough, and what could have caused that?
Old 08-21-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motomaniac77
I should add, the malfunction indicator lamp came on and was blinking when this problem occured. In the manual it says the catalytic converter could be damaged?? would a damaged cat really make it run that rough, and what could have caused that?
Check the code it's probably P0301-0304. Bad coil pack. 301 is cyl (1) etc.

Coilpacks are cheap and easy to replace, and a common failure point. There were multiple recalls on them.

Don't drive with a bad coilpack, the unburnt fuel can kill the converter and may catch fire and burn your Audi to the ground.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Coolant flange post.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=308879

Last edited by AudiMick; 08-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

"Don't drive with a bad coilpack, the unburnt fuel can kill the converter and may catch fire and burn your Audi to the ground."

Comforting...LOL. yeah im not driving it. Luckily i was really clost to home when this happened. all the evidence I have seen so far and the research i have done is pointing to the coil pack. I'll be making some calls tomorrow for the parts. Is there a tell tale sign for me to know which one has failed? I am assuming wet plugs right? I didnt get to pull them earlier as planned.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

its late and I'm tired, forgive my stupid question last post. My friend is bringing over the scan tool tomorrow to verify...but yeah hopefully the code tells me which one as well. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

would a damaged cat really make it run that rough, and what could have caused that?
A damaged cat won't change how the car runs (unless burned to the ground like AudiMick said), but it could turn your MIL on, and the car might not pass its emmision test.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Don't drive with a bad coilpack, the unburnt fuel can kill the converter and may catch fire and burn your Audi to the ground."

Comforting...LOL. yeah im not driving it. Luckily i was really clost to home when this happened. all the evidence I have seen so far and the research i have done is pointing to the coil pack. I'll be making some calls tomorrow for the parts. Is there a tell tale sign for me to know which one has failed? I am assuming wet plugs right? I didnt get to pull them earlier as planned.

If you search you might find a post from an individual who drove his car 15 miles with the light flashing.

The fireman subsequently "chopped" all the battery wires after the ensuing pyrotechnics.

Cheaper to take the bus and buy a coil pack I reckon.

He blamed the POS Audi.

You can't fix stupid!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well the code is a misfire on cylinder 2. no other detailed information because I dont have a vag com yet. All evidence is still pointing towards coil pack. I'll know for sure soon. I really appreciate all your input guys

and no i would never drive it in its current condition. Thankfully i was only blocks away from home when it started going wrong (which is a first for me...usually im in another state when my vehicles decide to fall apart) :/
Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well the code is a misfire on cylinder 2. no other detailed information because I dont have a vag com yet. All evidence is still pointing towards coil pack. I'll know for sure soon. I really appreciate all your input guys

and no i would never drive it in its current condition. Thankfully i was only blocks away from home when it started going wrong (which is a first for me...usually im in another state when my vehicles decide to fall apart) :/
You can switch packs between cylinders if you want to be sure.

I have a full set of coil packs in my garage, been there etc.......

NAPA sells them, the VW dealers also. Even the Audi dealer was not too $$S.

Check your plug gaps, poorly gaped plugs cause the coilpacks to fail early.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

moved coil pack from cyl 2 to cyl 3...cleared code. Started it up, sure enough, threw the code for cyl 3 misfire. On my way to get a new coil pack tomorrow. I can see a steady drip still from the back side of the motor...my best guess without major disassembly is that flange is bad. the leak is in the right area. I'll also be replacing the valve cover gasket as well. I will have a better view when its all apart and go from there. I borrowed a car for the week so I'm taking my time and doin all this right
Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: the coolant hose flange or manifold as its also called, on the back of the head was fine. My issue was simply the coolant temperature sensor O-ring had turned to mush...Literally. I got a piece of it about 1/3 the circumrerance of the original o-ring out. The rest came out with the sensor itself in pieces. I'm sure there is some left in my cooling system so I am going to do the cooling system flush tomorrow. (glad I waited on that) Also I can only assume this coil going bad may have been spread out over the last few weeks? It definitely feels like its got more spunk now when I took it for a test drive tonight. Anyway, word to the other audi newcomers out there like me. Check that CTS O-ring first...it may be all you need, the leak will look like its coming from the same area. If your flang is bad though...go to napa, I went ahead and bought one and it was only $10, audi wanted $50. All fixed now...thanks again for the assistance guys, I will contribute what I can in the future as well I took pics of my A/c system evaporator drain plug repair because I was getting water in my passenger side floor. Dunno if I should post it though, there are a few similar posts already but I dont think I saw one B5, 1.8t specific...let me know guys, I'll post with pics if there is a request for it

Quick Reply: 2001 A4 1.8TM Reeeally weird coolant leak, help please...