A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

96 A4 2.8L Quattro - Transmission Fluid Change - where to fill?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I definitely put oil in until it was overflowing before I started the car. And I kept putting oil in until the fill was overflowing before I shut the car off. I put the plug back in right away. The oil would not drain from the torque converter that fast, but yes some oil did start to come out before I put the plug in. Not enough that it drained a ton out. I think I just don't have enough fluid in there to start with... I'll have to try again in a few days... too busy tonight!

Thanks for all the help. I need to get a better "pump" situation.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by reinstone79
The oil would not drain from the torque converter that fast, but yes some oil did start to come out before I put the plug in.
It's not just the torque converter. It's the rest of the tranny. That's why they have you put it in every gear before you test for ATF level. I've done this one....way too often (I rebuilt mine). To start with the ATF cool enough, you almost have to leave it overnight. Go through every gear, then wait till the ATF temp is 35 - 45C. If it doesn't trickle out at 35C, pump more in. When it trickles out, DO NOT stop the engine. Put the plug back in....then stop the engine.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by reinstone79
I changed the trans filter and new pan gasket, and cleaned it all out. The fluid was a dark graphite grey, but nothing big in the pan, just some sludge on the magnets. The car has 120k miles and I'm sure it never had a fluid change.
What everbody eles is saying is right, but just wondering why you needed to do this anyway not sure about 96 A4's but I know my 98 is a sealed unit and never needs to be surviced unless its leaking ATF and I have 122,00 miles on it and it runs great ( it will most likley blow up know that I say that ). Also if your old fluid was a dark grey you might want to get ready for a full rebuild as once you put new ATF in it all that junk that was stuck in areas is now floating around and getting into areas you don't want it.

Just my .02 though
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by imgettingcloser
I know my 98 is a sealed unit and never needs to be surviced unless its leaking ATF

Just my .02 though
LOL. You mean a "sealed unit" just like the engine? It's only a "sealed unit" when you seal it with the plug...just like the engine. Don't fall for the Audi party line. Just link any mechanical component, your trans requires service...it's no different from the engine.

At 122k, you are past due on a fluid and filter change.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know my 98 is a sealed unit and never needs to be surviced unless its leaking ATF
Not sure if that's accurate.. .well there's conflicting info. Bentley's website has the ATF fluid being changed a number of times and Audi says it's a lifetime fluid. I'd replace the filter and fluid to make sure all the metal shavings are gone. ..and you get more lubrication.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
audi.1998.maintenance.sched.pdf (23.5 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by hellbringer; 03-09-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hellbringer
Not sure if that's accurate.. .well there's conflicting info. Bentley's website has the ATF fluid being changed a number of times and Audi says it's a lifetime fluid. I'd replace the filter and fluid to make sure all the metal shavings are gone. ..and you get more lubrication.
Just checked with Alldata as well and they only say to inspect the trans. for leaks. Also checked with a tech. awhile back and he said the same. I'm sure if I opened up my trans. the fluid would look as bad or worse then Reinstone79's but I sure wouldn't mess with it now unless I could find a tech that would do it that why when it goes out they would have to pay for the rebuild.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Guru

Just checked with Alldata as well and they only say to inspect the trans. for leaks. Also checked with a tech. .
Why don't you ask a ZF certified service facility what they recommend? After all, they did build the transmission.

If it never needs service, why does it have a drain plug?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
LOL. You mean a "sealed unit" just like the engine? It's only a "sealed unit" when you seal it with the plug...just like the engine. Don't fall for the Audi party line. Just link any mechanical component, your trans requires service...it's no different from the engine.

At 122k, you are past due on a fluid and filter change.
I know, I wouldn't really call it a "sealed unit" as well but thats just what they call it do to the fact that it should not need to be opened unless there is a problem with it. I personal hate to think that the fluid does not need to be changed but every time I took it to a tech they said nothing needed to be done. I guess thats why there is no dip stick or a normal fill port like other cars.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I sure wouldn't mess with it now unless I could find a tech that would do it that why when it goes out they would have to pay for the rebuild.
Not sure what kind of repair shops you head to. .but I bet if you head to an Audi dealer and request a fluid change they'll perform it for you, my Audi dealer changed my ATF fluid at 60k with no problem. I guess if an Audi dealer performs the ATF fluid change it's ok? Also when your trans starts having issues. ..I wonder if you'll think "I should have replace the ATF".

It's illogical that your ATF is "lifetime" - all fluids break down plain and simple! take your ATF to a lab for analysis and check if the fluid is acceptable. Is the color brown or clear? Why's the color black when the trans is sealed? Are there metals at the bottom of your pan? Is there sludge? What happens to your trans when there's metals in the fluid? Does that accelerate your trans from breaking down and is it abrasive?

What does ZF state for fluid change?

Also Audi states your diff gear oil is lifetime. Change it and see how your car rides, I bet it's smoother, MPG increases and your gears will be lubricated once again. When you drain your diff gear oil . .is the color black or clear? If it's sealed why is it black?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=15458861

Last edited by hellbringer; 03-09-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Tech Guru

I guess thats why there is no dip stick or a normal fill port like other cars.
There is no dip stick because a dipstick provides a range for "full". This transmission has a very specific level that it requires. A dipstick does not cut it here.

Quick Reply: 96 A4 2.8L Quattro - Transmission Fluid Change - where to fill?!