A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

98 A4 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1998, 04:11 PM
Pat Clancy

Default 98 A4 brake problem

Actually, I'm not sure if I have one brake problem or two. It's a 98 1.8T, 10,000 miles. First, since new, I've thought the brakes over-boosted yet inconsistent. At low speeds sometimes a light touch brings what feels like a normal rate of slowing, sometimes it jerks you to an overquick stop. I haven't been able to pick up on any pattern. Virtually everyone who has driven it has commented on how touchy and oversensitive they are. The dealer claims they are normal. Second, a couple of times when driving in heavy rain on the highway and I've needed to brake quickly, the brakes have taken a second or two to really begin slowing the car. This is doubly bad because in the first moment of panic when it seems that the brakes aren't working correctly, you step on the pedal even harder and then the brakes begin to grab, except that now you are pressing too hard and are on the verge of actviating the ABS with a panic stop. Anyone else experience these symptoms? Should I look into better brake pads perhaps? Any suggestions?<br>
Old 11-02-1998, 08:15 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: 98 A4 brake problem

Re the first problem: if it's erratic like you say, might have a problem with the power boost system; recommend a trip to another dealer, or call AoA. This does NOT sound normal to me.<p>Re the second: ars that I ahve experienced this with genrally had no or a bent brake backing plate. This plate should be pretty close to the rotor in order to do it's job. Also, I am assuming you have stock brakes. For info, I have not noted any problem with my Avant, and have driven in heavy rain.<p>I don't think a pad change will correct this, since it is due to water sheeting on the rotor, I think. Going to slotted rotors should help.<p><br>
Old 11-03-1998, 08:02 AM
Poethius

Default Re: 98 A4 brake problem

I haven't experienced the first problem, but the second happens to me even in light rain. Fortunately, it seems to occur only the first time or two I stomp on the brakes. If it is a wetness problem, the first reasonably hard or prolonged application dries them out. Other people have commented that the A4's brakes need to warm up to become fully effective. That sounds weird to me, but it does seem prudent to hit the brakes a couple of times in wet weather *before* you really need them, in controlled conditions.<br>