A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99 1.8T Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 1.8T Clutch Question

Hello,

I Have a question about my clutch. I've owned my 99 1.8T since 70,000 miles and am now just shy of 140,0000. The clutch has always engaged very high and am now noticing that is just about high enough that there is very little room before the end of travel. I don't really notice any slipping and it seems to operate perfectly. Am I in imminent danger of needing a clutch replacement? My mechanic, who has always been honest simply says that with these clutches "it is what it is" and is not really recommending I do anything, but I can help but feel this is going to cost me shortly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Walter
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Our 1998 clutch was also notoriously late engaging.
This was the case with the OEM clutch, after clutch replacement with LuK (OEM) clutch and Southbend Stage 3.

Original owner had clutch replaced with OEM LuK (which failed soon since the shop installed the rear main seal lip wrong, oil ruined it).

We installed the Southbend 3, also engaging very high, just like stock clutch; this one also had to come out later due to gear box seal leaking oil into it; normal wear of the seal (should have replaced probably when doing the install.

It was rebuild by SB (new organic pads) and installed. Completely worn down after 2 years (zero wear material left, total slipping).
Without noticeable change in engagement point. NO slipping until TOTAL failure (car broke down with 100% slipping clutch).

Had the SB rebuilt and installed. Engaging earlier, I'd say 'normal'.

Still a mystery.

Based the 'wearing down' experience with the SB clutch: at least that clutch has enough clamping force to compensate for the wear WITHOUT giving early signs of slipping.

I would asssume the stock clutch will get a bit weaker with wear, and MAY show the reduced clamping force (and torque capability) by trying a 'harsh' clutch engagement. I perform what I call 'high gear clutch drop': 4th gear, 60 mph, depress clutch and rev engine high (say 6k rpm), drop clutch and floor gas pedal; see if clutch continues to slip or if it 'catches up'.

If slipping: MAY be an indication that clutch is NOT the strongest anymore.

If not slipping: I'd say the clutch is still good.

BTW: not a terrible job to drop the tranny and change the clutch (car on hoist certainly helps).
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vtraut,

Thank you for the information, very helpful information, I tried the test and the clutch seemed to catch up just fine.

Thanks again

Walter
Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any truth to the claims that the clutch slave cylinder (or not replacing and properly bleeding the brake fluid) can have an effect on this slipping? I only have 62K on my '00 and with heavy throttle I am getting slipping in 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yamato72
Any truth to the claims that the clutch slave cylinder (or not replacing and properly bleeding the brake fluid) can have an effect on this slipping? I only have 62K on my '00 and with heavy throttle I am getting slipping in 3rd and 4th gear.
If there is some problem with the hydraulics it usually manifests itself as not being able to dis-engage the clutch.