A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99.5A4Quatro - steering wheel jerking left - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-1999, 12:38 PM
Larry

Default 99.5A4Quatro - steering wheel jerking left - HELP

The cars great bu t why at slow speeds 5 -20 does the sterring wheeling every now and then jerk slighlty to the left - is it not in alignment - if i steer straigh and let my hands up it will eventually steer a bit left - not straight -please help???
Old 07-20-1999, 12:50 PM
david

Default tires vs road? only when car is still cold? (are you typing while you drive?)

sorry for the joke, my car has a noise problem (see message posted right before yours)<br>1)On grooved road some tires will seem unstable/jittery.<br>2)On slight slopes at slow speeds some cars will seem to pull disporportionally in the direction of the slope.<br>3)I've been told (with a strait face) that some cars (never noticed on an Audi) do not react equally when cold and driving slow. This type of problem happened frequently with my fiance's old 97 Grand Prix. We were told by GM (Giant Mistake) that this was the power steering pump warming up, and doing so unequally. We refused to believe his story, traded in the car and got the A4.
Old 07-20-1999, 03:24 PM
Dan

Default I had the exact SAME problem!

I went to the dealers and they took a look in the wheel wells, and they said, get this "snow buildup in your wheels and wheelwells is throwing your steering off". Total bs, right? So, I say whatever, I'll be back tomorrow. I come back the next day, and they hoist 'er up on the lifts, and what happened was that one of the weights that sits on the springs or struts or something like that was...missing. That threw off the balance, and at lower speeds kind of felt like it was jerking to the left, pulling every so often. So, I don't know EXACTLY, but it is suspension related. Have them call Dalmar Motors in London Ontario, cause they fixed it, after giving me the crap story about...snow.<p>Dan
Old 07-20-1999, 05:11 PM
Dan F.

Default Me too ... Pls. let me know if you find any useful info ...

My steering wheel occassionally jerks at low speed for no apparent reason, especially when braking (but it's not consistent enough that I think it's definitely unevenness in the brakes).<p>So far, I've just dealt with it ... but if there is a fix I'd like to know about it.<p>Dan<br>
Old 07-21-1999, 06:05 AM
PT

Default me too . . .

That's happened a few times to me, too. I just figured it was the uneven road surface. But recently I've had a slight (but noticeable) vibration at highway speeds, so maybe I've thrown a weight or two also. Will look this weekend.
Old 07-21-1999, 06:05 AM
PT

Default me too . . .

That's happened a few times to me, too (but to the right). I just figured it was the uneven road surface. But recently I've had a slight (but noticeable) vibration at highway speeds, so maybe I've thrown a weight or two also. Will look this weekend.