A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

'99 Accord (2.3l 150HP) vs A4 1.8T (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 01:49 PM
alan t.

Default I own both cars: one a V6 Accord and 1.8T A4 and of course the A4 is more fun to drive but

the Accord is not a bad value. For about 3K less the Accord has a real kick *** V6 putting out about 220 h.p. It's fast and trans. shifts smoothly. At 80 m.p.h. the engine is hardly breathing at 2500 r.p.m or less. It's a real quiet highway cruiser. It has double wishbone suspension all four corners and came with CD player. The brakes are not as touchy as my A4's and the front rotors actually have splash shields on them. But don't get me wrong. My A4 with sport suspension is much more fun to drive. Id like to drive an Accord without the all season tires to see how it feels. But without a 5 spd. the Accord usually comes in second to the A4 for those funm drives. Sorry I got carried away here. Alan in Maryland
Old 09-07-1999, 02:52 PM
Shabbis

Default Accord EX V6 = 200hp/195ft lbs torque and 0-60 in about 8 seconds.

nt
Old 09-07-1999, 02:59 PM
adc

He's talking about a 4cyl Accord, not the V6!!!
Old 09-07-1999, 03:03 PM
ChuckH

Default Those hinges are called "Cargp Crushers!" My '93 Civic...

...had them, and many, many times I thought I had loaded the trunk well and then ended up having to unload and reload because of those damn things. I also crushed groceries, etc. with them. The whole car was a piece of crap anyway. I wonder if the new owner found all my padding and tape woirked into the interior paneling to get rid of squeaks, creaks, and rattles?

Charles
Old 09-07-1999, 03:42 PM
alan t.

Default Part of my point is the V6 Accord is cheaper than the 1.8T!!!!

dfd
Old 09-07-1999, 03:43 PM
alan t.

Default Thanks for correction, my typo error.

dff
Old 09-07-1999, 04:04 PM
Tom

You should compares the Accord to VW Passat 1.8T/Jetta 2.0liter while A4 with 3.2TL.
Old 09-07-1999, 04:32 PM
Tom

Default Trunk hinges on Accords...(more)

Honda's cost-cutting materials are not as bad as the Toyota Camry and Mazda 626. Just look at how plain those plastics on the Mazda and the spartaness on the Camry, the Accord is way better at lease in terms of interior quality even though still not at the Passat/Jetta levels.
Regarding the trunk hinges. From what I saw from previous generations of Accords to the current widebody US-spec Accord, the trunk always used the poppy-type that crashes into the cargoes. Its not usual for Honda, and Japanese cars. Just look at all the Civics, Camrys, Corollas, Altimas, Maximas, even the expensive Lexus GS400 and Infiniti Q45 use those cost-cutting hinges. The only Japanese vehicles that's introduced recently uses the unintrusive hinge is the Infiniti G20. The only reason that could explains its the car had some influence from UK Nissan design studio instead of all the cost-cutting thoughts from USA and Japan's own studios.
Just some thoughts
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS <-unintrusive hinges
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0 <-same unintrusive hinges in a 23k car
Old 09-07-1999, 05:10 PM
Patrik

Thats my point: Why do people love Hondas?? (at least in CA they do)
Old 09-07-1999, 05:14 PM
Patrik

Default I just happen to drive the Accord and own an A4. They TL is...

Nothing, really nothing but a luxuary accord!
Has the same Cargo crashers the accord has!!

Those damn things aren't even capped! Just open and ugly!

I just have a hard time understanding, why so many people think Honda's are so damn good!
Even the ride wasn't any sporty at all! Although they emphasize their double wishbone comes from the race track and stuff...

Quick Reply: '99 Accord (2.3l 150HP) vs A4 1.8T (long)