A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

Sameer: After reading your eloquent post, I decided to put my thoughts into words. For the last two days I have felt like a corked bottle, and I realize that the only way to feel better is just to let it all out. Thanks for your words and for helping me realize that doing so is the only way I can find peace.

Having said that...

Like many of us, I used to be afraid of the dark when I was a little boy. I would turn off my lights at night and run as fast as I could into my bed. I would pull the covers up to my eyes and stare into the darkness. I tried to wrap myself in my blanket to feel warm and secure. I was afraid of unknown monsters under my bed, in my closet, in the dark. The world felt very big, and I felt very small.

As I grew up, I realized that those fears were false. I no longer ran to the safety of my bed. I often stayed up late, reveling in night and the peace, quiet, and darkness that it brings. I no longer feared invisible monsters. I felt strong. I felt big, and the world felt a whole lot smaller.

But that all changed yesterday. Like many, I spent the day glued to the TV set. I saw the images, heard the talk, but somehow felt no fear. I became so involved with the situation that I never stepped back and let it all sink in. And then night fell...

For the first time in many, many years, I found myself feeling afraid. It was close to 3:00AM when I reached my bed, and I found my wife already asleep. I slid under the covers...and I pulled them up to my eyes like I did when I was young. I felt a sense of vulnerability and uncertainty. Every sound that I heard as I lied there was somehow magnified ten-fold. Every creak in the house sounded like an intruder. Every truck that rolled by somehow sounded like an approaching jet plane. For an instant, I was once again afraid of an invisible monster. I let my fears shake my faith in God and in my fellow man. Suddenly, the world felt very big again.

I somehow managed to fall asleep. I woke earlier than usual this morning, and was greeted by a beautiful day. As I flipped on the TV, I was relieved to see that no further incidents happened overnight. And I began to think...

By living in fear the previous night, I had - in a sense - allowed the terrorists to invade my home. The enormity of what they had done had managed to find its way to my house. Despite all of the reassuring words, the unity exhibited, and the resolve of our country to serve justice, I still allowed an invisible monster crawl under my bed, into my closet, and through my hallways.

I felt ashamed. My faith in God and my faith in my fellow man had been shaken by someone who had no right to take them away from me. And if I didn't do something about it right then and there, I risked spending the rest of my life living in perpetual fear. Fear of flying. Fear of traveling. Fear of particular ethnic groups. Fear of the unknown.

I realized that the unknown is something to be welcomed with open arms. I live in a country blessed with a pioneer spirit and an acceptance of all people that simply isn't found anywhere else. And of any time in history, this is a time for us to put aside our differences, unite for a common good, and embrace the future.

The world doesn't feel quite so big as it did last night. Justice seems achievable, and the end no longer seems to be out of our grasp. My faith in God and in my fellow man has been stirred, and I hope that our nation is able to rise to the challenge and put together the pieces of our lives that have been torn apart by yesterday's events. I know that we will rise above it.

*WHEW* Sorry if that sounded a little sappy, but that's EXACTLY what I have been feeling. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:13 PM

madtowner de wisconsin(? everything)'s Avatar

Default jb

I really like the message in your sig (& your post)... May I borrow it?
Old 09-12-2001, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well written
Old 09-12-2001, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Absolutely. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well said Jussnb...we will heal im time, i am sure of it.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's so sad to think that the truth is...

these terrorists have succeeded. They got your attention. They were able to get in your head, so to speak. They were able to get into practically every American's head. This hit home. This is what they wanted, and damn the bastards for succeeding.

As we all know, targets were picked carefully. This was a very well thought out, sophisticated attack on America and it's way of life.

The terrorists' message has been felt. I, too felt uneasy last night. My thoughts went to the future. What happens if we deem Bin Ladin the culprit? Will he let us invade peacefully? I doubt it. Will the countries and governments who harbor(ed) him be so despirate and scared that they would simply begin bombing or attacking our country first? Will this be the cause of another war? These are all threatening questions with possibly horrible answers. I just hope whatever happens does not involve the loss of innocent lives, but I fear it may. I fear for our country. I fear for the innocent people who will soon fear the wrath of our military.

Only time will tell, but I hope justice will be served soon...and to the full extent of our power.

On a lighter note...how will that monster under your bed catch you? You've got a tuned 12 valve.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:32 PM

Default I know what you mean...

I also felt uneasy before bed last night. I went outside and scanned the skies. Somehow this made me feel better. I kept remembering the movie Red Dawn.

May our thoughts and prayers be with the President and the victims.

Trey
Santorin 99.5 1.8TMS APR