A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 quality ratings...advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A4 quality ratings...advice (well, at least of rice)

I can relate.

I can't offer first-hand experience with the A4's reliability, but I have researched it every way that I could think of (including observing this BB) before I replace my Prelude with an A4.

I'm on my second Prelude, the first (1991) had 145,000 miles on it when I traded it, wouldn't have thought twice about driving it across country. An unbelievably trouble-free auto. Made a Honda lover out of me.

Now I want more room (although folding the rear seat, I could carry 6' step ladder in my Prelude with trunk closed), yet want something fun to drive. European "don't call them wagons" cars seem my only choice, with the Avant being the best fit for me.

At the risk of major flaming, none of the European makes have the reliability/cost of maintenance of Honda or Toyota, but the A4 has had better reliability than most of its European contenders. The A6 has slipped lately, but the A4 is still strong.

I briefly subscribed to the Passat email list to get a feeling for that model. On the Honda lists I had briefly subscribed to in the past (too much "what's the biggest spoiler I can get", "who's got the clearest lens") I guess I was spoiled compared to the Passat. On the Passat, I was constantly seeing problems with brand new cars. Many of those owners were throwing their hands up, getting rid of their PITA Passats, and buying Audi's (and BMS's).

FWIW, this unabashed Honda-lover has "deemed" the A4 reliable enough for consideration as my next "cage". No particular dissin' meant with the "cage", but compared to a VFR, anything with 4 wheels is second-rate.

Disclaimer: I've never owned an Audi, hell, I haven't even driven one yet (i'm waiting for local Audi dealer to get a used 1.8tQM for me to wind out some, but I'll should just settle for new vehicle test). Maybe one drive and I'll be turning my nose up at everything rice.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:33 AM

Default Nah, parts aren't that expensive... don't forget that great depreciation you get when you buy new!

Sure, buying new has it's advantages but heck, used ain't so bad. My dad bought his 1990 5 series bimmer used and it lasted him 150,000 miles before he sold it for 8 grand.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had 6 Japanese cars in a row...

Audi can't match the bulletproof reliability of the Japanese, The Japanese can't match the material quality, and road dynamics of Audi. Pretty simple.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had five Hondas. The last two were nearly perfect. No probs. Zero probs with the Audi so far.

However, I did have a low-beam blow recently ;-)

I am confident that the Audi is just as reliable as any Honda I've had, but I am also confident that it would be much more expensive to repair.

Also, I had one brand new Toyota Camry. It had a seized caliper and could not get the dealer to cover it. First and Last Toyota ... because of the dealer.

Get good warranty coverage!
Old 06-20-2001, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your Japanese cars were so reliable...why did you buy 6 of them? Either you're 80 years old...

or they were junk.

Or you're like me and you just like buying and selling cars (my A4 is my 9th car in 6 years)
Old 06-20-2001, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buying used? I have had many new and many used vehicles and unless you personally

know the person who owned the car, I would not recommend buying used if you can avoid it.

99% of all the problems I have had in the past were with the cars I bought used -- Including the POS Explorer my wife drives, which is trying to blow it's tranny.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

dont forget the "mod bug" costs involved
Old 06-20-2001, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: A4's have better depreciation % that typical rice
Old 06-20-2001, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well Done! That's the truth, enjoy the ride unless you hold your cars for 15 years.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:20 PM

Really, they're bringing a V8 S4 here!?

Quick Reply: A4 quality ratings...advice