A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Aaack!!! Check engine light. Please please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aaack!!! Check engine light. Please please help!

Okay, first of all, I'm looking at the manual as I type, so no snide RTFM remarks, okay?

The symptom(s): Went to put my car in the garage tonight, and after I started the car, sat in it for maybe 2 minutes fiddling with the stereo, when all of a sudden it started shuddering like it was going to die. I gave it a little gas, let up, and as the revs dropped down to idle, it started to shudder again. I gave it more gas, and kept it at about 2000 rpm for about 20 seconds. Then, the check engine light blinked once and then came on and stayed on. I then turned the car off, waited for a few minutes, then restarted. The light was still on. So, I took a drive around the block to the 7/11, sat in it for a few minutes, then turned it off again. Came back out after buying my drink, restarted, and the light was still there. Drove home and put the car in the garage, and when I shut it off finally the light had never gone off. Never blinked, was just on steady the whole time.

My car: 99.5 1.8tQM.

Possibly relevant mods: APR chipped, K&N airfilter. I've been chipped for over a year now, and I switched to v3.0 about 6 weeks ago, and never once had this problem.

Other relevant factors: Drove the car this afternoon with no problems. It is about 13 degrees F outside tonight. Half tank of gas, all other gauges reading normal.

What the manual says: I quote: "If the light does not go out after starting the engine or if it should come on while driving, this indicates that there is a malfunction in the emission control." It goes on to say that if the light is blinking that the cats could be damaged.

My question: Can I safely drive the car if the light is not blinking? Is a steady light a big deal, or is it just being enviro-friendly? Here's the bottom line: I'm supposed to go snowboarding tomorrow, and I need my car. I've been planning to ride tomorrow for the last several days, and it is the only day I can skip class this week without catastophic repercussions in my schedule. I really want to go tomorrow, but if it is going to damage my car, well then, obviously I'm staying home. The car is packed and everything.

Someone please please help because I really want to ride tomorrow, and I'm not sure how serious the problem is. The manual makes it sound like it's no big deal so long as it is not a flashing light. Has anybody had an experience like this before? I don't know what to do!!! Arrgghhh. Why tonight? Why not next week when it's due for service? All advice is most most appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

B
Old 11-13-2000, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a similar issue in my 99.5 2.8QMS. Car actually died on me..

once. Drove fine except for crappy mileage. Dealer replaced both Oxy sensors. Car happy after that.

-Eric
Old 11-13-2000, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Aaack!!! Check engine light. Please please help!

First thing that came to my mind when you mentioned it was cold and tank was half full was perhaps some condensation or water is in the tank. Try adding some heat or gas dryer additive. I've also heard on this board that if the problem persists for more than say 5 days it's probably something that the dealer should take a look at. In any case I would go boarding tomorrow and not worry about it until you get back.
Old 11-14-2000, 04:54 AM

Default My thought exactly...condensation in fuel

As I understand it if the problem itself clears and doesnt come back the check engine light will eventually clear - but I am not sure when or if that is indeed true.

But, I would add a bottle of dry gas and go from there. If the car seems to behave normally other than the light it is probably OK now.
Old 11-14-2000, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, thanks guys. I guess I'm going to go ride. Wish me luck w/ the car...
Old 11-14-2000, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with posts below, have it checked if it does not go out after a few days, btw.. great sig!!