A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Above and beyond service from dealers body shop and patheticly poor from same dealers service dept.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000, 05:00 AM
Mark M13

Default Above and beyond service from dealers body shop and patheticly poor from same dealers service dept.

Yesterday I picked up my 98.5 Avant 2.8qms from the Danbury, CT Audi collision center. The accident I was in was on the 21st of November. Total damage was well over $10,000. Soon after, Audi's computer system went down and most of my parts were not available. It's been a long wait. Boy it's great to have it back.

I've said this before, but the outstanding quality of service prompts me to say it again, the Danbury Audi body shop was top notch. The manager Norm Cleveland was fantastic from the beggining and patient and sympethic throughout the whole ordeal. He understands that to some folks it's more than "just a car". He helped guide me through the ins. process and continually said don't worry we'll deal with them and take care of you. Which they did. He honestly looked out for my best interest and did all the haggling with the adjusters. In addition and most importantly, my car looks fantastic. In fact it looks like it just rolled out of the show room. It was detailed inside and out before I picked it up today, they did an unbeleivable job with a car that was origanlly thought to be totalled.

The Danbury service dept. is the polar opposit. Right befor I got the car back Norm, the body shop manager heard of the tie rod end recall and was thoughtful enough to have service do the work to save me the hassle of bringing it back.
Great. So I picked up my car and when I got it home proceeded to put the snow tires on it. I started with the back. The lug nuts were very very tight but at least I could remove them. When I got to the front they were ridiculously tight. I couldn't even remove the passenger front wheel. So, I had to remove the three snows I had mounted and put the summer tires back on. The service dept over tightened the wheels. If not for the recall then from when they last rotated the tires. When I called service they said bring it by well loosen them and hand tighten to spec. 30 min later they pronounced two frozen and rounded and said they need a few hrs to work on them. They proceeded to tell my it was not their fault and claimed the nuts rusted because the car sat for so long. So I would be covering the bill at $70/hr and it would probably a min. of $100 and no we won't warranty it. I argued that wheel nuts are on cars for months at a time befor ever being touched it was their fault. They wouldn't budge claiming it was an act of nature. This was the biggest crock of BS I've ever heard.
And they were really arrogant about it.

It turned out the body shop got wind of the problem and said not to worry they would take care of it on their end and set me up with a loaner. This is what I refered to as above and beyond service.
The service dept. at Danbury Audi has a reputation among local Audi and Porsche owners as being arrogant and incompetent. I was taking my car in for regular service, but now that I experienced this first hand I will never take it back again.

If you are in the CT/NY area and are in the unfortunate situation of needing a great body shop by all means give Danbury a call. If you need service by all means seek else where.

Mark M13
Old 02-04-2000, 05:46 AM
Ben

Default Re: Above and beyond service from dealers body shop and patheticly poor from same dealers service

so what is a good audi dealer for service in the danbury / stamford area? i just moved here from ann arbor, mi, and pray told me it would take a month to get my car in for service! back home it was only 2-3 days..

thanks!
Old 02-04-2000, 09:15 AM
Huskies

Default Re: Above and beyond service from dealers body shop and patheticly poor from same dealers service

I have read a few posts at this site that speak well of Hoffman Audi in Fairfield, CT I believe.
Old 02-04-2000, 11:05 AM
Mark M13

I'll be using Continental in Fairfield, they are honest and fair. (nt)
Old 02-04-2000, 03:38 PM
pauls

Default Mark, saw your post to one list (more)

don't know what your buying experience was but GF bought her A4 at Valenti because of the "reputation among local Audi and Porsche owners as being arrogant and incompetent". I went to Danbury also and was not impressed. Unfortunately she isn't happy with Valenti service so its a catch 22 for her (she works in Danbury). She had a Subaru before, liked the car and liked the service. She loves her A4 but the service thing kind of takes the edge off the joy of ownership if you know what I mean. It does for me too. I'd say Valenti service is mediocre. I only wish I could go down to Continental. So in my opinion Danbury sales and service are the pits. Body shop is good as you said, they did a great job on my VW.
pauls
Old 02-05-2000, 04:29 AM
Mark M13

Default Paul, I wish someone at Danbury would wake up and realize this.....more

between the local Audi and Porsche population that won't use them they are losing some big $.
The service dept. needs a complete overhaul. Anyone in any upper service position needs to be shown to the unemployment line. Keep the techs. and have the new management debrief them that it's a new attititude, if you cant adopt it, then use the door. I live in Bethel,5 miles from their dealership, and am now going to drive to Fairfield to avoid them. I want to put this all in a letter to upper management at Danbury Audi just not sure who to send it to. I get the feeling if I ask the service manager who his boss is I won't get a straight answer. I also wanted to mention the excellent service I received at the body shop.

BTW I didn't buy my car there. I was living in Knoxville TN at the time I purchaced it. This was big time Ford/Chevy country. Things were a bit slow at the Audi/Jaguar/Porsche/VW dealership where I got my car. As such, I ended getting it for $750 over invoice. Much harder to do around here with the poppularity of the car.