A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Acceleration (?) Problem --advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 12:37 PM
WAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration (?) Problem --advice appreciated!

Hi folks, looks like I found the right place for my question. I have a 2001 A4 1.8T quattro with tiptronic transmission. It's got less than 1000 miles on it.

Here's the problem: WIthout having command of the technical lingo, the best I can describe it is that there is an intermittant failure of acceleration. Every so often (but not every time) when I accelerate to change lanes or accelerate-- for example-- after slowing to turn a corner, there seems to be a "dead" spot in the transmission or the acceleration where the car hesitates (not stalls-- but the acceleration doesn't kick in). I took the car in to be checked but the folks at Audi could find no problem. When it occurs it's pretty pronounced and has me questioning safety......

Can anyone help identify the problem and a solution. Is this what's referred to in other parts of the forum as "turbo-lag" ?? Obviously I am a novice and greatful for any help -- I love the vehicle otherwise, but this is particular bothersome and nervewracking.

WAL (Wendy)
Old 03-13-2001, 12:42 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sounds more like gear searching

does it happen in both tip mode and auto?
what rpms are you at?

If aroudn 2000 then yes that is the turbo spooling up again...if higher then your car is searching for what gear to use
Old 03-13-2001, 12:52 PM
WAL

Default Re: I'll have to take note of the RPMs

I drive it primarily in auto mode, so havn't noticed if it happens in tiptronic. I'll focus on the RPMs and check back in, but it generally happens at slower speeds.

thanks-- in either case, are these consideered malfunctions... or normal operation as Audi is currently telling me?
Old 03-13-2001, 12:55 PM

Default It's probably a combo of gear hunting and turbo lag. More ...

One of the "features" of tiptronic is that it likes to hold the RPMs very low for fuel efficiency reasons. I most notice this drawback in 35-40 MPH traffic, where tiptronic has already shifted into the top gear (5th) for me. Obviously there is no power this low in the RPM band (about 1,200 on my car), and tiptronic takes a moment to make up its mind and downshift before the car can accelerate when I press the pedal. Then, if you have the 1.8T, you need to wait a moment after that for the turbo to spool up as well.

The best solution to this particular case is to drive in "4" around town when the traffic is going 35-45 MPH. The best solution if you're having this problem at other times too is to use the manual shift mode to select a lower gear before you make your maneuver. For example, I find it very handy to shift for myself when merging onto the freeway in order to keep the engine spooled up until I'm comfortably merged in with traffic.

You can also mash the pedal to the floor and use the "kickdown trigger" to get a faster downshift (you'll notice your accelerator has two stops; if you push it to the second one it will force a downshift), but I think it's an inelegant solution. :-)

Dan
Old 03-13-2001, 01:14 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if so: normal in any automatic and turbocharged car

let us know more info as you get it
Old 03-13-2001, 04:22 PM

Default low rpm's are the culprit

I've noticed this phenomenon also; so I drive exclusively in tip mode. When lazy, I drive in 4 or even 3 in heavy traffic. The result is better control of the rpm's. Higher rpm's mean quicker pedal response. Once you get the hang of tip, you can control it pretty well and enjoy the kind of response you want. The hell with gas mileage.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Acceleration (?) Problem --advice appreciated!

I also have a 2001 A4 1.8t tip, and this sounds similar to mine.

I've found that the tip shifts to 5th extremley soon, and around the city I'll be lugging at 1100 RPM. This especially happens around turns. I brake before the turn, start the turn, and the engine is still in 5th, and it is doing maybe 1200 RPM. When I go on the gas to exit the turn, it is absolutely dead, until it either downshifts or slowly gets to 2500 RPM. The turbo lag accentuates this, making it difficult to smoothly accelerate, works well if you gun it though

I found either it got much better as the car got broken in, or I learned how to better control the non-linear throttle of the DBW / tiptronic / turbocharged car. Also try 4 or 3 around the city.