A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Aftermarket Keyless entry 96 A4 Will arm, lock doors, and will disarm but wont unlock

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Keyless entry 96 A4 Will arm, lock doors, and will disarm but wont unlock

First I want to apologize for the hack job I have going on here LOL I had to figure out which cable was what from the aftermarket alarm. After all is good I'll solder them and organize them.

Here's my current issue:

Aftermarket alarm arms and locks the doors ( locks go down, windows roll up. ) but when I hit the unlock button... it disarms the alarm ( cabin lights turn on, lights flash ) but the locks won't come up. Heres the funny part if I hit the unlock button on my drivers door it pushed the locks up and the doors are unlocked. What am I doing wrong?

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/81gkgtzpvk31lzs/t2okGl36ZI

let me know if you need more high def pictures.

Also, I read a thread about a week ago saying I had to bind the two White and Black wires from the car's harness to the factory disarm. Is it possible I blew a fuse? but in that case would the lock work?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Make sure your unlock on the aftermarket alarm is giving a long pulse.
The B5 vacuum system pump requires that pulse to ensure it pumps the system.
Short pulses won't work on vacuum systems.
I forget the exact figures, but i think it was around 20ms for a short pulse, and 200ms for a long pulse, something like that.

Your closing pulse is obviously very long to activate total closure - my system runs a 10 or 15 sec pulse to achieve that on a second button press (also aftermarket, keyless entry only, no alarm).
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found this weird Brown wire coming from the harness when I tapped my orange wire to it it disarmed and when i tapped my orange and black wire to it-- it armed. So I connected the orange and black + to the brown wire and the orange - to the disarm with the white and black cable and it works perfectly fine. The only thing is before when it would arm it would also arm the factory antitheft so that if it was armed the alarm wouldnt go off if I put the key in the ignition and turned it-- the car just wouldn't start. But eh' I guess beggers can't be choosers everything works as of now just not the immobilizer.

Oh, and one more thing!:

When I have the car off with just the radio on and I roll down or up the windows it shuts the radio off. I dont know if thats a bad thing.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where are you tapping into he loom?

The correct factory location is under the back seat right of centre just past the fuel pump access port (on quattro's).
At that location, every required wire is there except left indicator, which is in the loom on the left hand side only a meter away.

It's been 5 years since I wired mine, so I can't remember the wire colours. I'll see if I still have the diagram laying around.
Off to work now, so it'll be after that!

Cheers
Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK,
Couldn't find a wiring diagram on my PC, but did find one on an old post on here:
audiworld.com/tech/elec52

Ignore the wiring colours on the right hand side, as they are specific to the unit the OP used.
But the left hand wiring colours are what you'll find under the back seat.

If your module has a separate wire for the "total closure" feature (very long 10 sec or so pulse to close windows and sunroof) you can wire it as he did his White Blue & Green wires (on the right of the diagram), as the A4 ECU will accept the long or short pulse for total closure or normal locking respectively. You may or may not need the diodes, as the remote module is simply earthing the wires - you can't short an earth as far as I know!

The fact that you are affecting functions of the ignition switch says you're wiring in the wrong place.
I had a professional originally install my keyless entry under the dash (his choice, I hadn't had the car long and didn't know any better). In the process, he killed the soft on/off lighting and from then on it only came on when the door was opened.
I undid all his wiring and wired it as per the diagram in the post above. Works perfectly to this day and I got the soft on/off lighting back.

I also put the aerial wire up the right hand seat bolster (the bit that stays behind when the 60/40 split fold down) to extend range.

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 09-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Where are you tapping into he loom?

The correct factory location is under the back seat right of centre just past the fuel pump access port (on quattro's).
At that location, every required wire is there except left indicator, which is in the loom on the left hand side only a meter away.

It's been 5 years since I wired mine, so I can't remember the wire colours. I'll see if I still have the diagram laying around.
Off to work now, so it'll be after that!

Cheers

I tapped in through the back seat. I have everything working now only one thing. When I hit the lock button on the remote it'll lock but it wont beep like its supposed to and flash the red triangle on the emergency light switch. So basically some one can break my window and start the car no problem because it doesn't arm the immobilizer.

Also, when I hit the unlock button it beeps and unlocks all doors normally. I used to be able to use my key to unlock all four doors with a double turn but now it'll only open the door I have the key in. I can take a picture, drop it in photoshop and label all the cables and where they're going to.

Thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, I wouldn't worry too much about the immobiliser.
On Audi's, the Key is fitted with a transponder which is energised by a coil around the ignition key switch (the black plastic ring). This then sends a signal to the immobiliser (if fitted, in US market a lot weren't), which on a '96 will be mounted up under the dash above your right knee (could be left knee on a LHD), is white/cream and about the size of a cigarette packet.
In essence it is always "armed", as without the signal from the key, the car will never start (well, it will "start", but then immediately stall).

As for your beeps, are you expecting the alarm module to beep, or the car?
unless you've wired into the horn wiring, I don't see it ever beeping?
If it's the alarm module, you'll have to check it's settings.
You should also be wired into the indicator wires direct, so the hazard light switch shouldn't light up...

Only suggestion I have for the central locking is perhaps the alarm's hook up into the central locking circuit is disturbing things. So you might need the uni-directional diodes as suggested by the circuit digram I linked to in my previous post.