A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AHHHH! Brilliant Black owner insanity! How do I keep it pristine? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHHH! Brilliant Black owner insanity! How do I keep it pristine? :-(

I literally think I'm losing my mind. Actually considering getting a new car just so that I can avoid the unending frustration associated with owning a black car that I'm trying to take care of.

I waxed it about two weeks ago after putting on a nice coat of 3M IHG. Looked great. It looked great for a week, in fact.

Then, I went away to Cape Cod and got sapped during a rain storm. Fine, so I wash it at a hand wash (one in town - water restrictions are back, no washing your own).

And I still cringe EVERY time I see my car in the direct sunlight!

What can I do to keep the black looking like the glass that I wish it could?
Old 08-26-2002, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

When my bb 99.5 got rear-ended I pushed HARD to get it totalled - then bought a silver '01 ;-)
Old 08-26-2002, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default black is the nicest looking car clean and silver is the nicest when dirty

I had a black car just prior to my silver. You cannot keep a black car clean. ANYTHING shows up on it. Salt shows in the winter, pollen in the spring, raindrops in the summer...

But when cleaned and waxed it looks so nice! On the other hand, I can wash and wax my silver car and I swear it doesn't look any sharper than when I started!
Old 08-26-2002, 06:21 AM

Default i feel your pain! 2wks ago i 3M IHG my brilliant black....

actually dish soap first, claybar, and wash again. then the 3M, 3 coats of Mothers Glaze, and 3 coats of Mother Carnuba wax. Looked amazing! but it looks ok now....then again everyone else says it looks so clean and shiny but i haven't washed it in 5days and its rained!

I think we are all just to **** about it!
Old 08-26-2002, 06:35 AM

Default It is best to get over it, that is what I try to do. I have tons of rock chips also

Now I hardly even drive it, my wife drives the Audi every day and I take the metro, Just Wax it a few times a year and wash it once a week, and do not look at your car in the sun.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:38 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Forgot who said it, but..."Brilliant Black is not a color, it's a hobby."
Old 08-26-2002, 06:45 AM

I simply use the California duster once a day and mine stay looking nice.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:46 AM

Default Try p21s paint cleaner and then some of thier concourse wax.

Looks great and the shine lasts for a long time.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:47 AM

hobby/obsession/addiction/clinical disorder - what's the difference? ;-P
Old 08-26-2002, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "....all just too **** about it..." - good point!!

I've had ppl comment it looks good, when i think it looks like ****. Has your wife/gf ever bitched about her hair/makeup/whatever looking like ****, when you think it looks good?? You just roll your eyes... and so would others if we walked around crying about our paint/dirt/rain spots. Here on AW you get props for 3 coats each of mothers and carnuba. The general public would send you to a therapist.

With the water restrictions i havent washed my BB for about a month. I just dust it every couple days with the california car duster (red mop looking thing) and it works great. Car looks good from a few cars away (not great up close) but thanks to no rain, i've learned to relax about it. I really think thats the key.

Quick Reply: AHHHH! Brilliant Black owner insanity! How do I keep it pristine? :-(