A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Airbag light. Code: 01025

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light. Code: 01025

Hello everyone. I recently got an airbag light and the code pulled through VAG-COM is pasted below. I did replace the bulb for the check engine light which I noticed was burned out. The check engine light works when ignition is turned to on position but the Airbag light is constantly on even though I cleared the codes after replacing the bulb. I searched for the code in bentley and the forum but couldn't get any more info than VAG-COM is giving me. TIA.

Control Module Part Number: 8A0 959 655 D
Component and/or Version: Airbag V AUDI D00
Software Coding: 00127
Work Shop Code: WSC 63342
1 Fault Found:
01025 - Trigger for On Board Diagnostic Lamp: Malfunction
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground
Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Help please. I drive this car everyday and want to know if it is at least safe to drive until it warms up so I can run some additional diagnostics. If it helps I did remove the steering wheel to replace some steering column switches and the battery was unplugged during that procedure. I put everything back EXACTLY as it was. If necessary I will take it apart again, but I need to know what to look for.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
Help please. I drive this car everyday and want to know if it is at least safe to drive until it warms up so I can run some additional diagnostics. If it helps I did remove the steering wheel to replace some steering column switches and the battery was unplugged during that procedure. I put everything back EXACTLY as it was. If necessary I will take it apart again, but I need to know what to look for.
It's safe to drive as long as you don't get in an accident as the with the light airbags are disabled.

The normal cause of this is the plugs under the seats but that mainly afflicts the later cars with airbags in the seat.

IIRC the 96 has six wires under the seat on the drivers side and four wires on the drivers seat, check all the plugs particularly the seat belt interlock.

Other than that I would check the steering wheel/ drivers air bag and clock-spring.

I just tossed away a complete steering wheel for a 96 with airbag.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much Mick. I just remembered something, when I removed the airbag form the steering wheel (it's a 3 spoke sport wheel) there was a brown wire behind one of the metal brackets inside the steering wheel which made contact with the back side of the airbag. I am assuming this is to ground the back metal surface of the airbag. When I was putting the airbag back I had trouble getting one of the screws to catch the threads on the back of the airbag because the spade connector on that wire was in the way. I fished around with the screw and got it in but it is possible that the screw didn't go through the spade connector and that connector isn't actually making contact with the airbag. I can't know of this until I remove the airbag again but would that cause an airbag light?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
Thank you very much Mick. I just remembered something, when I removed the airbag form the steering wheel (it's a 3 spoke sport wheel) there was a brown wire behind one of the metal brackets inside the steering wheel which made contact with the back side of the airbag. I am assuming this is to ground the back metal surface of the airbag. When I was putting the airbag back I had trouble getting one of the screws to catch the threads on the back of the airbag because the spade connector on that wire was in the way. I fished around with the screw and got it in but it is possible that the screw didn't go through the spade connector and that connector isn't actually making contact with the airbag. I can't know of this until I remove the airbag again but would that cause an airbag light?
The airbag circuit has a a pretty low impedance (4.7 ohm) so any bad connection will trigger the light.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mick, I would like to ask your opinion about the air bag light and appreciate your help. I also have a 2001 TT and the air bag light has the problem when I start the car in the morning the light will blink slow, then fast, than after around 10 minutes turn off. When I brought the TT into my mechanic and he said no codes came up for the air bag light. He said to bring it in overnight and they can test the codes again when the car is started in the morning and the problem is actually happening.
Do you think they will be able to get a code reading when the problem is happening? And secondly if this does not work, what do you recommend (maybe give a short list) that I can ask the mechanic to check that could be the most likely fix?
Thank you, Barry
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
The airbag circuit has a a pretty low impedance (4.7 ohm) so any bad connection will trigger the light.

1.8-3.5 any more and you have open circuit, any less and you have short circuit to ground.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by redttroadster
Mick, I would like to ask your opinion about the air bag light and appreciate your help. I also have a 2001 TT and the air bag light has the problem when I start the car in the morning the light will blink slow, then fast, than after around 10 minutes turn off. When I brought the TT into my mechanic and he said no codes came up for the air bag light. He said to bring it in overnight and they can test the codes again when the car is started in the morning and the problem is actually happening.
Do you think they will be able to get a code reading when the problem is happening? And secondly if this does not work, what do you recommend (maybe give a short list) that I can ask the mechanic to check that could be the most likely fix?
Thank you, Barry
My TT does the same thing when it's parked outside. More like 2 minutes.

Our Hungarian sports coupes behave like they have Lucas electronics. Electrical poltergeists for sure.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

The problem was 100% a malfunctioning Instrument Cluster. After replacing the Instrument Cluster and starting the car the airbag light stayed one for about 3 minutes and then went away. For some reason my horn didn't work after replacing the cluster with a working one. I regained horn functionality after the airbag light went off by it self. I did an auto-scan via VAG-COM and there weren't any new fault codes. All is well for now. Thanks for the help. Hopes this info helps someone.