A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Alignment info needed- does it REALLY matter which wheels I have on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-1999, 01:31 PM
Chris Hlubb

Default Alignment info needed- does it REALLY matter which wheels I have on?

Ok,<br>I know that it will make a difference in taht even if I have the exact plsu sizing there is still a small discrepency of height, for the most part, but its not noticeable. Anyway, I am getting my alignment done and need to know if I should throw my 17" wheels back on for it or jsut use the stock 16" taht I have on for the winter. I have the H&R race/Koni sport setup. Anyone who has done this before, any recommendations? Will I notice a big difference in the spring when I put my 17's back on?<br>TIA,<br>Chris
Old 01-05-1999, 04:08 PM
G. Hale

Default Re: Alignment info needed- does it REALLY matter which wheels I have on?

Chris, I don't know how much this one alignment guy knew, but he told me that during one part of the alignment, the wheel is aligned by the center of the tire. Therefore, alignment can be different depending on the tire width. That didn't sound right to me, but I guess it's something to consider.
Old 01-06-1999, 03:45 AM
James

Default Probably not in your case . .

Hey Chris,<p>I'd suggest you go for the alignment with your Type M's. Even though there should not be any major difference between the wheels in your case, it may be wise to align the wheel/tire package you will be using more often, and at higher speeds.<p>The only reason I can see of putting stock wheels on for alignment is if that's your only suspension related modification, and want to avoid possible excused from the dealer due to the wheels. But since you've got the Koni/H7R setup as well, I don't think that's a concern for you.<p>Hope this helps.<p><br>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver <br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>