A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

All of this talk about front license plate tickets..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-1999, 08:42 AM
Jason M.

Default All of this talk about front license plate tickets..

I live in California, where you are required to fix the violation. The following is a suggestion for anyone who might have to fix this and does not want to drill holes in their bumper.

1. Get a plastic license plate frame (A4.org).
2. Silicone it to the plate so that the holes for the screws line up.
3. Get two screws and saw off the threads, so that you just have the heads of the screws.
4. Superglue them over the holes on your plate.
5. Get some suction cups and glue them on the back of the plate (the flatter the better).
6. Stick the plate on the bumper so that it looks like the screws are going into the bumper.
7. Go get your ticket signed off, remove the plate and save it for the next time you get a ticket..

Not that I am condoning running around w/o a front plate, but for those of you who want an alternative to drilling holes..

Jason
Old 09-03-1999, 09:07 AM
Mark P

Default Just make sure if they catch you with that, you say...

that you intend to keep in on like that as it seems stable, but you didn't want to drill holes. Say the screw heads are there just to make it look better.

They may not appreciate it if they feel you're trying to "got one over" on them.

ingeneous idea,
Mark P
'00 on order without front holes
Old 09-03-1999, 10:53 AM
guilty conscience

Default Re: All of this talk about front license plate tickets..

you are a genius. My inspection is due next week and I was considering velcro, but this is a better idea! I've been driving around without the front plate(pulled over a couple of weeks ago), for about six months, and everytime I see a cruiser, the pulse starts racing like I have an Uzi hidden in the glove. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-03-1999, 11:26 AM
Jim Simone

Default Re: All of this talk about front license plate tickets..

Someone else successfully used hook&loop fasteners ("Velcro) in a similar fashion. Since he had a dark colored bumper, the black squares he glued on weren't very obvious. It might be more problematic on lighter colors. (I imagine you can get different colors of velcro.)

He also told me that the CHP officer checking it jiggled it a bit to make sure it was somewhat permanent.

Jim
Old 09-03-1999, 12:21 PM
Adam S

Default CA Front License Plates....(more)

Funny, I drove my honda for almost six years here in the Bay Area without a front plate and was never pulled over or warned about it in any way.
Old 09-03-1999, 12:32 PM
phred

Of course you're trying to get one over on them, what else could it be?
Old 09-03-1999, 12:37 PM
Greg

Default no worries here...

It wasn't by choice but my A4 was already "abused" in that it had the 3 gaping hole drilled. So I figured that I might as well use the front plate since I'm not gonna fix the bumper and risk getting a fix-it ticket (which would require the holes being drilled again). But that tip is a good one...

-Greg
Old 09-03-1999, 06:44 PM
Lewis

Default Possibly another alternative to drilling the front bumper

Awhile back, I posted asking if anyone had done anything about the black plastic which extends below the rear license plate on my 98.5 1.8T.
I got some informative and useful responses that might be relevant to the dilemma of legal requirements for a "permanently attached" front plate and desire to not drill the bumper to comply with the law.

Check out the post in the link below which says that the REAR plate holder is not bolted on at all, but affixed with "industrial adhesive," and with care, you can peel off the plate holder, saw it to match the plate size and reattach it with the same adhesive.

If it's legal to "glue" on the back plate holder, it should be legal to do it in the front...but that may be a bit too logical for legal matters....
Lewis<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/bbs/a4/9937/messages/506.shtml">Rear plate holder held on with adhesive.</a></li></ul>