A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Any one have the H&R sport springs and Bilstein Shock combo from AWE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one have the H&R sport springs and Bilstein Shock combo from AWE?

Any comments on this if you own this. Are you happy. Its around 800. is it worth the money
thanks
joe
Old 10-30-2002, 08:20 PM

it's a normal shock and spring combo
Old 10-30-2002, 08:22 PM

Default Re: it's a normal shock and spring combo

Im really curious as to what to go with.. i want a firm ride but not too hard...? i have no idea what to go with. so is that combo worth it
Old 10-30-2002, 08:37 PM

Default the bilsteins are the non-adjustables...

imo, you can get a better ride at a better price if you buy seperately. it's about 800 shipped on AWE, but you can get the adjustable neuspeed's from their site for a little under 400 shipped and hr sports shouldn't be more than 300 shipped, 700 right there.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I have exactly that setup. In fact, Todd even installed it for me

I think the parts were between $700-800, and the installation was a couple hundred bucks.

When I first got it, I loved the setup. Nowadays I think it is a bit harsh. I don't know if the shocks stiffened up over time, or if my addition of 17" wheels did it, or if I am just getting old.
Or maybe the NYC roads have gotten even worse.

But I am actually looking forward to putting my 16" winter wheels back on the car and reevaluating my suspension setup.

-- Peter
Old 10-30-2002, 08:56 PM
CMC
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the H&R Sport Spings w/ Koni Sport Shocks and I like the ride a lot, but

I'm getting some Stasis springs this coming week installed because I find my ride not harsh enough. If you want my H&R springs, feel free to email me an offer for them. They have about 35k miles on them.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:46 PM

Default I had H&R springs and Bilstein shocks on my S4 and this is what I did

I hated the H&R springs as the ride is ok around town but when you hit bumps or dips on the road, especially traveling at 65+ mph, the suspension bottoms out and hits the rubber bump stops on the shocks. People say to cut the stoppers so that you will gain the extra travel lost by the shorter springs but that might blow your shock and void the warranty. Here is what I did and I am SO HAPPY!
I removed the H&R springs and kept the grooved Bilstein shocks on my car with the stock S4 springs. I had a machine shop cut a groove about 1/2 inch lower than the lowest groove on the fronts so that I can lower my car 1.25" in the front just by setting the spring perch to the lowest setting. The rears are about 1/2" lower than stock so now my ride is 25.5" from ground to fender all around and my ride is just a tad firmer than stock. Nose diving is to a minimal and the bumps are like how it felt with the stock suspension. I figure that these shocks were 20% stiffer valved for the S4 so I can safely say that the car is 20% stiffer than stock. This is by far the best setup for someone looking to lower their car without sacrificing any of the ride quality. If you are planning to go to the tracks, then maybe you should invest in an adjustable coilover suspension like the H&R street setup. For me, I just want the look and slight bit better handling. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a combo for sale in classifieds for $300

If your interested check it out<ul><li><a href="http://watkinsglen.bverticals.com/audiworld/market/AdDisplay.asp?AdNumber=35810&amp;">http://watkinsglen.bverticals.com/audiworld/market/AdDisplay.asp?AdNumber=35810&amp;</a</li></ul>
Old 10-31-2002, 02:54 AM

Default I have that set up and I like the ride

I got mine from E5Performance and I recall that it was less than $800.<ul><li><a href="http://www.e5performance.com">http://www.e5performance.com</a</li></ul>
Old 10-31-2002, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am in the process of setting up a GB for this combo - it will be the neuspeed bilsteins.

I will have more info later today

Quick Reply: Any one have the H&R sport springs and Bilstein Shock combo from AWE?