A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

anyone have the xenon effect fog light bulbs from spp?....is it worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have the xenon effect fog light bulbs from spp?....is it worth getting?
Old 02-18-2002, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do.

I believe they are just the Eurolite super whites...if not, then they look exactly the same.

I am happy with them...they match my phillips xenons great and i'll be ordering a 2nd set of them when these ones burn out.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did... You want them?

The bulbs SPP sells (or at least the ones they sold me about a year ago) are Lumiko Heliolite Xenon white bulbs.

What SPP FAILS to tell you is that the bulbs (again, at least the ones I got) are 70W bulbs. The foglights are designed for 55W max.

I had a couple of problems with the SPP Xenon-look bulbs, described below.

For stock systems, the slight upgrade in wattage isn't a big deal, the foglight housings and wiring can typically handle the load. However, I did notice that the insulation on the wires running from the outer plug on the housing to the bulb itself became very soft and actually tore, which I believe was caused by the additional heat of the 70W bulbs. No biggie, I just wrapped the wires in electrical tape.

My second problem was a bit more serious, and cost me some $$. The increase in bulb wattage burned my Stongard Light coating on the foglight lenses. Stongard Light is the equivalent to Xpel or other Clearbra companies light protection systems, and is basically a 1/8" thick, clear sticker placed over the headlights and the fog lights. The increased wattage of the SPP fog lights scorched the interior of the light protection film. I ended up removing and replacing the film ($12), and swiching back to the stock fog lamps with no problems.

I have since switched and am using 55W yellow bulbs (which I bought from Mark P) in my foglight housings, have had them in for about 2 months (Western WA winter, lots of night driving) with no problems.

My advice would be to make sure any Xenon look bulbs you get are 55W max, especially if you have a lamp protection film on your fog housings.

If you're really after the SPP Xenon-look 70W bulbs, I'll sell you mine, $10 for the pair, plus shipping. Drop me an email.
-Steveo