A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

anyone here have a subwoofer with a stock bose system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here have a subwoofer with a stock bose system?

i want to add a subwoofer to my bose system, if you have this how did you wire in rca outputs?
ive heard of 2 ways
1. tap into speaker wires AFTER stock amp (between Stock amp and bose speakers) using a hi-low converter
2. tap into speaker wires BEFORE stock amp (between Deck and stock amp) using normal rca cables with one side spliced open, which method did you use? if neither how did you hook up you rca outputs?
i got this from www.a4mods.com, he did it way #1 but then said #2 would be better but i want to see how others did it to
Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 86 Posts

#2 is always better. With #1 you are taking a low level signal, converting it to a high level signal through the stock amp, then converting it back to a low level signal with your hi-low converter, then converting it back to a high level signal through your new amp to your speakers. With #2 you take a low level signal and your new amp converts it to a high level signal for your speakers eliminating 2 conversions which introduce signal degredation and distortion.

In a4mods DIY, is the amp and connectors/connections the same as yours? If so then splice the +ve center wire of your RCA cable to the corresponding line output from the radio's Left and Right. Then twist both grounds from your RCA cable together and splice it to the line output ground from the radio. This is following this diagram from a4mods.

Good luck.

Doug