A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone out there getting an MBA? Bahaha!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone out there getting an MBA? Bahaha!!!!!!!!!

Excerpts from Buisness 2.0 article...

Still more pointed is an upcoming study by Jeffrey Pfeffer, a management professor at Glauthier's own business alma mater, Stanford. In it Pfeffer challenges the bedrock assumption of business school: that those who make the effort to get an MBA degree have more successful careers than those who don't. Pfeffer combs through 40 years' worth of data for evidence that this is true -- and uncovers almost none. He quotes Ronald Burt, a University of Chicago business professor and the researcher behind two of the studies in Pfeffer's paper, who says, "I have never found benefits for the MBA degree. Usually it just makes you a couple years older than non-MBA peers."

Pfeffer's rebuke to business schools strikes even closer to home. In his paper -- coauthored by Ph.D. student Christina Fong and scheduled for publication in a fall edition of Academy of Management Learning and Education -- Pfeffer notes that the widespread assumption that an MBA education will enhance a person's career is almost wholly unsupported by data. Called "The End of Business Schools? Less Success Than Meets the Eye," the paper reflects Pfeffer's belief that business schools, like all successful, slow-moving institutions, are highly vulnerable to competition.

Pfeffer admits that one reason there's scant evidence for the alleged superiority of MBAs is there's not much data -- period -- on the subject. Still, he's not impressed by what he's found. One major investment bank analyzed the 2000 salaries of its employees and failed to uncover a statistically significant correlation between having an MBA and higher pay. Ronald Burt, who performed the study for the bank, found similarly inconclusive data in follow-up studies of graduates of the University of Chicago's business school. Pfeffer also examined some 40 years' worth of studies that attempted to find a correlation between grade point average and future salary. If the subject matter taught in business school were directly tied to business success, he reasons, there should be a strong link. The studies didn't find one.<ul><li><a href="http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,41346,FF.html">DOH! Full Article...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-26-2002, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad I got my B(eng) in the UK.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

an idiot with an MBA is still just an idiot, lol
Old 07-26-2002, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been thinking about it...if I can get in to a "Top 10" I'll do it, but...

if it's Top 11-25 it would be a harder call. Anything below that would be huge waste of time IMO.

It's funny though - they make mention of the contacts/network being one of the most important things. At my current job I can expense networking (drinking heavily) w/ the VC's we work with, most of whom are Harvard/Stanford/Cornell MBA types.

So I guess rather than getting an MBA I should just stay where I'm at, keep boozing it up w/ my new friends, and have those networks for the future. That sure sounds like a hell of a lot more fun that going to school....
Old 07-26-2002, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

True, but he probably still gets paid more !
Old 07-26-2002, 12:26 PM

Default did you read the excerpts kiwi?

"One major investment bank analyzed the 2000 salaries of its employees and failed to uncover a statistically significant correlation between having an MBA and higher pay"
Old 07-26-2002, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, forget getting an MBA. Get a law degree instead.

Right?
Old 07-26-2002, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Just like the Tech world, a certification doesn't mean you know more or are

more experienced than someone who doesn't.
There was quite a discussion on http://www.nanog.org/ not to long ago about this same type of subject.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

opp's, now I feel stupid !
Old 07-26-2002, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it gets you hired quickly tho. i've been in the software development for 9yrs and never had any

certification... i didnt even finish computer science =)