A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Argh: chains, chains, chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-1999, 10:52 PM
Dave Riesz

Default Argh: chains, chains, chains

<br>I recently moved to Southern California from Fairbanks, Alaska. Last November, I tried driving up into the mountains right after a snow storm. Even though there was barely a glaze on the road, and my A4 has quattro (not to mention Alaska plates), the Caltrans guy had the gall to turn me around at the chain control checkpoint. Talk about insulting. Sheesh.<p>So, it turns out, I'm gonna have to pick up a set or two of chains that I suspect I'll never use, just so I can get through chain control. Bah.<p>When I lived in Fairbanks, I drove around an old Subaru over some of the worst roads in the world, covered with all sorts of snow, slush, and mud, depending on the season. I *never* used (or bought) tire chains. Hell, I never even used show tires! I drove into some monster snow banks and never got stuck.<p>So, the big question: Has anyone out there with quattro ever *needed* to use chains. The reason I ask is that I want to know whether I should buy something I might actually use some day, or just something I can wave in the face of the poor dude who has to stop traffic on Highway 38 all of Super Bowl Sunday. Is there even the most remote chance I'll ever use chains with quattro, or are they just going to sit in the trunk?<p>Yeah, yeah, I know the manual has some choice words about tire chains, but even if I can get the guy at chain control to read it, I doubt he'll be moved.<p>Thanks in advance,<br>Dave Riesz<br>
Old 02-06-1999, 01:13 AM
Mika

Default 4 wheel drive and SNOW tires can pass go. No snows or chains, no passing go. Call Caltrans 800 427 7623 and AoA 800 367 2834 for exact chain info!

nt<br>
Old 02-08-1999, 10:41 AM
Jason D

Default Get cables, not chains, don't plan to use them.

The manual says not to use chains, But cable-style "chains" are supposedly OK. California requires you to carry traction devices, according to their web site. <p>I got a pair of cables for trips to Tahoe, but I don't plan to use them. They are just there to show the CHP if they ask. If you get cables from Grand Auto and don't use them, you can return them for credit at the end of the winter.