A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Attn Philly Area Audi owners: Do NOT use Don Rosen Audi for service... ever!!! (long rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn Philly Area Audi owners: Do NOT use Don Rosen Audi for service... ever!!! (long rant)

I've taken my 90 to them twice and now my A4 for the first time. To recap this service appt., here goes:

wed. sometime between midnight and 7 am: My A4 gets broken into via the passenger side window being broken out of it.

thurs 7 am: I find my glass everywhere in the front of my A4. Pass window is now inside the car and on the pavement. The side door is scratched from them leaning into the car through the window. It looks as if they got spooked and left, but not without kicking the car a few times. bastards.

7 am: I call work to let them know that I need to take the day off. no problem.

8 am: I call the police. They come and I file a complaint. We bs about how nice the car is, blah, blah, blah... He'll start driving through the neighborhood more often. Great.

9 am: I call my insurance company and file a claim.

10 am: I call glass shops because my ins. co. gives me the go to have OEM glass installed. No one has it, so I start called Audi dealers. Again, none have it, but Don Rosen says that they'll order one and have it by friday morning and squeeze me in for an appt. friday. I ask for drop off times and if it's possible to drop it off tonight so that it's inside. They say yes. Great.

2 pm: My insurance co. adjuster wants to see the car for an estimate of damage. She sees the car at my place, takes some notes and says that she'll fax me an estimate. Great.

3 pm: I get a fax of the estimate. wow! ~$1700

7 pm: My gf gets home and we take the A4 to Don Rosen. I arrive and speak with Amos, a Service Writter. He's slammed, and Bill Mathis, the Service Manager, notices he needs help and takes my appointment. He finds out that I need the window and that I called early this morning and set up the appt. Yup, you're in the book. Let's make sure the window is here for tomorrow. We go over to the parts dept. to find out that it hasn't been ordered. So, now I'm pissed again after settling down all day. He suggests looking at other area dealers for it. Great, nice idea. We look and the closest is Autohaus of Lancaster. How ironic that it would be the dealer where I bought the car would have the part, but it most likely is being used for someone else's car. So, they order the part and he tells me that they'll give me the earliest appt. on sat. and install the window. Great. Fine with me. I can still make Raj's drive at 11 am. Well, I call the parts dept just to make sure the window will be there in time. They said doubtful. So, I say screw it and go sailing and fishing for the weekend off the North Fork of LI, NY in the LI Sound. I check my voicemail and finially here from Bill that it'll be done past the promised time. I'm thinking, yup, I knew that already. So, I proceed to enjoy my weekend.

Monday (today) noon: Bill Mathis calls to tell me that my car is finished and that I can pick it up. Great. But, he wants to see the estimate from my ins. co. I ask, "why??" Bill: "For me to do this work, especially, the work for my body shop, we need to coordinate it with the estimate". I'm thinking why, so that you can make it equal the amount my check from them will be? Of course, what better way to make a few bucks of a "new" Audi owner. We further discuss my thoughts and his. So, there's still no quote from the window work that was just done. I ask: "Why can you do work without an estimate, but your body shop can't?" no answer. He proceeds to tell me that since Don Rosen isn't the dealer where I bought the car that maybe I would feel more comfortable with "my" dealer doing the work. Ok, so you're basically telling me to **** off and go to another dealer. Fine with me. You're ***, you want to make money off of me via my ins. co., good-bye, you are the weakest leak. He doesn't like that I'm so quick to go somewhere else. So, he proceeds to talk to me like I'm a child and explain why he needs the estimate. Ok, if your work is higher than what the estimate (keywork: estimate), then the adjuster will come out and do a supplement for the work. He says that he and Don Rosen don't work that way and that he won't work on my car further from the window that they just put in. He then tells me my bill now that I won't give him an estimate and to pick up the car today. Fine. I will and never, ever, return to Don Rosen. Since my inc. co. gives me a check for the work and tells me that if I need more money to fix the car, then call them. It's not the dealer or body shop's job to equal the estimate. It doesn't work that way. What an ***.

I've had 3 service appts. with Don Rosen and at all 3 I've had problems. Two have been with Bill directly. My 90 was in for the state inspection and it failed for a cracked headlight. They made a big deal about me wanting to just pay for it to fail and not put in the ~$400 OEM part they had. So, I take it to another dealer and they explain to me that it will only fail if water can get inside. Water couldn't get in, so it passed the inspection without replacing it. Thus, Don Rosen just wanted me to buy a part that I didn't need. I later found a perfect one off an wrecked car, which is in it now, for about $150.

My 90 was in for a strange steering sound. I wanted to know what it was so that I or my mechanic could replace/fix it. I get a call later in the day that they found it was the upper strut bearings, they've both been replaced, you owe us ~$500, please pick up your car. WHAT! I didn't approve that. I'm not paying it...long story to follow...I didn't pay it as long as I never return. Nice.

Now this with my A4. This is no way for a dealership to treat its customers. I suspect that he figured out who I was and is now refusing to be cooperative with me to make the money back that I didn't pay before.

I will never go to Don Rosen again and I suggest to everyone to think about not going there. The service techs. themselves do excellent work, but the management there is lacking proper communication skills and the desire to keep its customers happy.

All I can say is that the window work had better be perfect because I don't want to have to deal with him today or any day for that matter.

*stepping off soapbox*
Old 09-10-2001, 09:29 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heh, know them well. I coulda told you that 10 years ago :(

When my dad bought a BMW from Don Rosen.

They suck pure and simple.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like the Keyes Audi in Van Nuys service department
Old 09-10-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish someone would have told me. I knew I should've taken it to another dealer.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the warning...I was tempted to let them do my state inspection!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2001, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Attn Philly Area Audi owners: Do NOT use Don Rosen Audi for service... ever!!! (long rant)

Thanks for the heads-up! Have you tried YBH?
Old 09-10-2001, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yup... shady guys... I don't trust em either

Went to check out a 98 A4 that was AA... what a crappy car... shaking in front, it had 3 DIFFERENT brands of tires on it... plastic peeling off the sunroof **** (etc etc).. and they were asking full price for it. Then when I wasn't interested I noticed another car on the lot. It was disgusting internally and the guy tried to tell me that he heard that it was impecably maintained... sure, whatever. Needless to say I never returned their calls. Glad to hear that my first impression was not a wrong one.