A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AU: 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 02:24 PM
URC
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AU: 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Project

Hey guys

I recently purchased this 2000 Jaipur red (not sure if rare?) A4 1.8T Quattro.
I got it for dirt cheap $400 with registration but it does come with some issues. This is my second Audi A4 B5 I have owned but my old one was not turbo, also owned a 1999 Audi A3 1.8T and currently own a 2018 Audi S3 8V.
So far Ive done a oil and oil filter service on the car, next up is a full brake fluid flush. The front brakes have plenty of meat left but the rears might need changing soon. Once I do the rear I'm thinking of changing all the discs as they have seen better days.

The car surprisingly drives straight and no issues with alignment or any arms being bent. It does have some slight damage to the drivers side of the car esp the front fender (replacing soon).
Some clear coat is peeling on the bonnet, fenders, front bar, rear bar and on the roof where the roof racks go.
One of CV shafts could be rear left but not too sure is clicking sometimes when turning so that needs some attention. When braking and getting to almost a full stop it does this wierd thing were it feels like the brake pedal pushing back out slightly, makes a weird noise and its like the ABS is kicking in a very slow speed. Have no clue what this would be have to look further into.
It does have high KMS 281xxx but the motor seems to be running fine.
My plan is to get it all 100% do all the servicing it needs then start painting the panels that need attention. Once that is complete start working on putting a bigger turbo on GTX3071 possibly along with the bolt ons needed, front mount, manifold, pump, injectors etc etc. I thought about building the engine but that could be something later down the track.
Would anyone here be interested in me making a mini series of the progress on youtube?
I have an account already "underground racing cartel" that features drag racing, street racing, roll racing etc but would like to kind of add in some project car footage and kind of a nooby how to for others.
I will be posting everything here anyway though.

I will never tow anything with this car so that tow bar is coming off!
If anyone is interested in it let me know.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, that is one beautiful B5! You can't go wrong for $400. Yes, keep us posted on your progress.
The following users liked this post:
URC (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Agreed, that is a beautiful color! It's a shame that it has some blemishes, but for a $400 car it looks like a fantastic buy. Keep us posted on progress.
The following users liked this post:
URC (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:57 PM
URC
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you appreciate it! Im starting to like it more and more I drive it and work on it.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:17 PM
URC
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay so some updates I took the car yesterday 14/5/20 to my friends work (VW) we put the car up on the hoist and we assessed everything we could.
Turns out I have a wastegate rattle which is fine because Im planning on going Big Turbo soon.
I have plenty of boost gauges so I will hook one up soon just to see what boost its running, seems like it doesn't want to make any power at all its such a slug.
My front passenger CV is busted needs changing (hopefully the one in the boot is for the front passenger side)
Shifter linkage, bushes are old and need replacing.
Every time you turn harshly to the right the handbrake light comes on not sure what could cause this.
The water temp on my dash does not move at all from cold, I thought it was a thermostat so I purchased one from Bursons $25 but upon inspection on the hoist the bottom and top hoses are warm so looks like it could be there water temp sensor.
Other than that she seems to be in an okay condition.
Sorry I did not get any photos of the car inside the workshop.

Fast forward to today I managed to do a full brake flush (not sure how good I done it as I was by myself) but the car seems to brake nicely and have a firm pedal.
This did not fix the issue Im having when braking and getting to almost a complete stop seems like the ABS kicks in for a second and the pedal pushes against my foot... very weird probably a faulty module maybe?
Brake fluid used: 2x Nulon Xtreme Performance Super DOT 4 Brake Fluid 500mL

I managed to get to finish up before it started raining.
I have a few other things I was going to do today so I guess I will have to leave them for tomorrow maybe.
Next up I will be removing the old air box and putting on a pod filter.
The reason Im doing this is because there so much clutter with the air box in I want to remove everything in the way.

Drilled out a small hole for the hose and a breather hole.

Seems like my tube looked pretty long but I didn't think much of it at the time haha.

This is the result after flushing all the brakes.

I don't think I will record any videos on post them on YouTube maybe once I start doing the Big Turbo I will.
More updates to come soon.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:39 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Temp sender is a common fault on these cars.

ABS kicking on as you roll to a stop is either a dirty wheel sensor, an improperly seated sensor, or a broken tone ring (probably in the rear). My money is on the tone ring. The find the problem spot, you need to log the sensor signals with VAG-COM to find out which one falls off early. If you graph them (again, VAG-COM) and run a log as you stop two or three times, you'll find the problem corner very quickly.

That thing on the back is a trailer hitch. A tow bar mounts to the front and allows the car to be towed behind something else.

Flashing brake light is usually low fluid. You may have already fixed that with the flush.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:00 PM
URC
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Temp sender is a common fault on these cars.

ABS kicking on as you roll to a stop is either a dirty wheel sensor, an improperly seated sensor, or a broken tone ring (probably in the rear). My money is on the tone ring. The find the problem spot, you need to log the sensor signals with VAG-COM to find out which one falls off early. If you graph them (again, VAG-COM) and run a log as you stop two or three times, you'll find the problem corner very quickly.

That thing on the back is a trailer hitch. A tow bar mounts to the front and allows the car to be towed behind something else.

Flashing brake light is usually low fluid. You may have already fixed that with the flush.

Thank you, unfortunately I have another issue were I cannot connect to the ECU with any sort of OBII device.
I cannot use VAG-COM. Have to sort that out too. Im going to look into the tone ring hopefully today if it stops raining.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:08 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by URC
Thank you, unfortunately I have another issue were I cannot connect to the ECU with any sort of OBII device.
I cannot use VAG-COM. Have to sort that out too. Im going to look into the tone ring hopefully today if it stops raining.
ABS and Brake light on? Aftermarket radio?
Those tend to be the two things that flood the K line with data and block VAG-COM connection.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:13 PM
URC
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
ABS and Brake light on? Aftermarket radio?
Those tend to be the two things that flood the K line with data and block VAG-COM connection.
Ahh yep I seem to have the brake failure light on.
These small little issue are piling up Ive got my hands full now haha.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 86 Posts

To scan just remove the ABS fuse and you should be able to connect.

Doug

Quick Reply: AU: 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Project