A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 2.8 and 5-Valve technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-1999, 08:12 AM
Andrew Gardner

Default Audi A4 2.8 and 5-Valve technology

Fellow Audi Enthusiast:

I am interested in purchasing a pre-owned Audi A4 2.8 and wondered what year was the 5-valve per cylinder technology introduced on the A4 2.8? Also, what is the factory Audi warranty and are there any recalls, model years to avoid, or things to look for? Last, are there any disadvantages of buying from a non-Audi dealership other than "...a certified Audi"?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Andrew
Old 08-26-1999, 08:37 AM
FrancisK

Default 5V is introduced at MY98, recall check the TSB, 3yrs/50K warranty from Audi, ....

if under warrenty, there is no difference between buy at Audi dealership or non-Audi dealership.<ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com">TSB</a></li></ul>
Old 08-26-1999, 08:53 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: Audi A4 2.8 and 5-Valve technology

FrancisK gave vital info; however,think '98 had both 2V and 5V models. Open hood; if it sez "30V", that's the 5V model.
Don't know price difference bet. '98 and '99, but think all '99's had power passenger seat; '98 definitely doesn't.
If you're looking for a manual tranny, drive it. Main complaint on my '98 30V is long time for engine RPM to die between shifts; hurts fast upshifts. If you want a wimp stick, you're on your own.
Old 08-26-1999, 09:35 AM
J.Russ

Default I agree; it takes the 30V a lifetime to rev down...

... But I don't really mind it. Is this a function of the 30V setup or a computer-driven characteristic?
Old 08-26-1999, 09:37 AM
KevinH

Default Re: I agree; it takes the 30V a lifetime to rev down...

Computer driven, supposedly helps with lowering emissions.
Kev
98 2.8QMS
Old 08-26-1999, 09:39 AM
Drew S.

I thought it was due to a heavy flywheel?
Old 08-26-1999, 09:40 AM
Audiboy

Flywheel weight is what keeps rotational energy going. A light one will make it rev up/down fast
Old 08-26-1999, 09:57 AM
DaveN

Default Alas, I kind of like that heavy flywheel...

I hate changing clutchs (took me about 20 hours of work on my last Quattro), so I just dump the clutch right off idle. Maybe not the fastest take off, but I do tend to get a lot of miles out of my clutch. The nice thing about the heavy flywheel is the energy in it goes right into the driveline, I think I'd have to rev it a lot more, or slip it if I went to a lightened flywheel. I'd think differently if I raced, but I also wouldn't expect the same life out of the parts.
Old 08-26-1999, 10:34 AM
April

Default Flywheel effect

Actually the problem is common to most modern cars. The 30 valve does not have a heavy flywheel. Instead, this a computer/recirc valve emmissions device. When you close the throttle quickly, there are high emmissions due to unburned fuel exiting the combustion chamber. Slow the throttle action, and you have lower emmissions.

Long piston stroke engines ( like most German cars ) = lots of torque at low rpms. The problem is a lot of inertia. These designs are usually long lived as well.

High end sports cars ( Ferrari etc ) use expensive and complicated devices to deliver that wonderful carb-like sharpness. Most of these cars are short stroke designs.

Some aftermarket chips may address this.

April
Old 08-26-1999, 10:42 AM
HJB

Default Re: Actually, if you rev the engine in neutral, the rpms don't hang...

so I agree, it's probably not flywheel as much as delayed throttle closure by the computer when the engine is under load.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2.8 and 5-Valve technology