A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 2,8 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-1999, 09:44 AM
AlanP

Default Audi A4 2,8 Quattro

I am considering trading my 87 BMW 325ia for a 99 Audi A4 Quattro and have been scanning this forum for info as to pros and cons. The BMW went 12 yrs with no mechanical problems out of warranty. Comments about wet weather braking, rust on rotors and problems with rack & pinion steeing are troubling to me, and I wonder whether they outweigh the positive comments about the A4's handling and general fun to drive. Do the pros outweigh the cons about buying the A4? I would appreciate any input and advice abput my purchase plans.
Old 04-30-1999, 10:00 AM
DaveL

Default There are similar numbers of negative issues posted on BMW boards as well. My advice...BUY IT!!

One of the purposes of this forum is for owner to help each other solve problems. People are more likely to post the probelms they have rather than about the lack of problems. The same is true for any BMW forum. BTW...rust on rotors is not a problem. Every BMW will have rust on rotors after sitting unused for a few days.<p>I've had mine for 35,000 miles with one issue that was fixed under warranty. The A/C evaporator had to be replaced. I would consider it an isolated incident since I've been on this board since 6/97 and have never seen this problem posted.<p>This is the best car I've ever owned...previous cars owned were:<br>'95 Volvo 850T<br>'93 Mazda MX-6 LS<br>'84 Audi Coupe GT<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS wett<br>
Old 04-30-1999, 10:05 AM
stanj

This forum is for owners to ask about *problems* - that's one of the purposes!
Old 04-30-1999, 10:10 AM
Let's Go Bruins!

You're hraing all the negatives here. The car is worth it. Those issues would be resolved under warranty anyway...
Old 04-30-1999, 10:11 AM
Go B's!

That's &quot;hearing&quot; all the negatives, of course.....
Old 04-30-1999, 10:16 AM
Josh

Never heard about a steering problem... 36K in 1.5 years w/o problems here
Old 04-30-1999, 10:25 AM
AlanP

Default Re: There are similar numbers of negative issues posted on BMW boards as well. My advice...BUY IT!!

Thanks for your comments. I've test driven the A4QTip on dry pavement and like it very much. But I'm waiting to evaluate the Quattro on wet roads. before I commit.<br>My BMW 325i was the best handling car I've had, except the rear drive has poor performance on snow and wet surfaces. That's the reason I'm so interested in the Quattro.
Old 04-30-1999, 10:53 AM
ALD

Default Re: A4 on snow

Trust me,<br>A4 1.8T Quattro holds the road. Had it in the snow, on wet roads, and it is extremely surefooted. Even went up a steep hill, and the Quattro did its magic. Get the car, and you will see how good it handels on wet and snow.<br>As the Broucher says, there is Quattro and not quite. Read what CR said about it. The quattro is the most advance if I am not mistake AWD system that you can find in a car today. Traction control just does not cut it. Have been there with a few other cars, and seen it.
Old 04-30-1999, 01:39 PM
ChuckH

Default Wet braking trouble is real, but have not experienced rusty rotors or bad steering rack. I believe...

...someone said that Audi has a brake shield they can install is you complain about wet braking, but I can't remember for sure. You won't be disappointed int he car! :-) <p>Charles<br>
Old 04-30-1999, 06:39 PM
DaveL

With quattro you can do a redline run in the rain without any wheelspin! Get it!

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2,8 Quattro