A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 2001 1.8T Misfire, Rough Idle, Bad Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 2001 1.8T Misfire, Rough Idle, Bad Fuel Consumption

Hello,

I have been researching for quite a while, but was not able to find a definitive answer.

The car has been idling rough for a month now. I have not been driving it at all because not sure what the issue is. The mechanic I used to deal with moved to another city, and I cannot go there for repair, so before I go to anybody else, I wanted to ahve an idea of what the issue is, and how much it will roughly cost me. ( Put the car up for sale cause I ahve spent way too much money into it)

I have a big turbo upgrade: T3S60 turbo, atp manifold, 440cc injectors, custom 2'5 exhaust, Big turbo tune.

First thought was that the MAF is bad, disconnected it, still runs badly. After that removed the o2 sensor and sprak plugs. the o2 sensfor was completly black, as well as the two spark plugs. Doesnt look like a oil residue though. Replaced them, still idles rough. Note: PCV was changed earlier, DV is not connected to the pcv system( can this cause an issue?). I haev talked to the mechanic I used to deal with, and who has done some work on mycar, and he says that it could be two issues: bad injectors ( even though I have purchased them six months ago) or one of the gaskets went bad and dumps oil into the intake. I have scanned for codes. I have the following: P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected, P0304 - Cylinder4-Misfire Detected, P0302 - Cylinder2-Misfire Detected, P0301 - Cylinder1-Misfire Detected. That's it.

Changed coils to FSI two days ago, the issue continued.

Please advise if you have had similar issues, or if you have any suggestions.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello mate.ill try and help you out on this since know one wants to answear you.

well to me its dog of a mess.this what i do to the customers cars when thay come to me.

1.check restince on the sensors and maf
2.check compresstion and check with the workshop manual
3.has the ecu getting the right signals from the cranck angel sensor and was it maped probly.
4.is the fuel mixtures right.
as well all know when boost is applied it has to increase the fuel dilevery so that the flame in the chamber is not blowen out.

leaky vales can have make life diffuclt.

just do these checks and see how you go mate.if you need anymore help let me know.stef
Old 03-28-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok Thank you,
But I have to ask, if any of those where bad and true. Bad signal and or valve, wouldn't the car always run bad? I rule out the vacuum as well because If those are bad I feel as soon as the car starts the rough idle and performance would be bad wether I get errors or not? Or is that an untrue statement?