A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi a4 Costly or No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Mazerati
Hey,

I currently have an BMW e30, which is a good balance between luxury and performance. Although, I hate the fact that they are so old and the miles are really high up there on the odometer. This is why I am looking into buying a B5 Audi a4. My first question is;

- Are they really as costly as people say they are to uphold?
- Do they break down as much as the newer Audis?
- What's a good deal on these babies? (pice = millage wise, condition and so on...)
- Is it costly to upgrade things? (maybe a link or two that you know of)
- Does the 2.8 Quattro eat a lot of gasoline?
- Tell me something else I should know about the car

Thank You very much if you reply!!!
98 2.8 quattro bought at 60K miles, now has 110K

I don't think mine has been very costly. Sure, I'd probably spend less on a honda or a toyota, but I love my car. I love the way it drives. Sure, there are better handling cars out there for the money, but the quattro is fabulous in the winter. My ABS has been out for about 3 years, so no traction control or abs. It doesn't bother me. Still drives fantastic in the snow.

I probably spend about $1000 a year on maintenence and repairs. Had the thermostat replaced a couple years ago. ( it's behind the timing belt) cost about $1200 to replace with the belts, water pump and pulleys. Not too bad. Thing I eat up are tie rod ends and mass air flow sensors. These are common parts to go out. Be sure to have aftermarket heavy duty tie rod ends put on if you have problems, will save you cash in the future. Mass air flow sensor is a common thing to go bad on vw's and audis. on my second one of those in 5 years.

Mine has remained stock except for a few cosmetics. I am happy with it the way it is really.

Gas milage, get about 20mpg, but that's a hell of a lot of fun for the money. Have gotten as high as 28MPG on long highway trips.

Love the trunk space, although, it's about identical to a 2000 jetta(had a measuring contest against my brother). I love the look of black cars, but damn I hate taking care of black paint. The clutch can be a bit heavy at times. if you're in a lot of traffic jams, probably want the automatic. If you haven't had an AWD car before, it's a little different to drive in the snow and wet. (sometimes a ton more fun). In some sticky spots, it's better to give it more gas than less. Like you start understeering around a corner. Brakes are your enemy there, you'll keep sliding. Better to kick the back out with some gas. Might wanna practice that in a parking lot a bit, but once you get it, OMG, you look like a rally driver in snow. The back helps it turn and the front will get its traction back.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jschick
from what I have found if you are a DIY guy, you can't own a car for less then a Audi. Most Parts are "cheap" in comparison to Acura, MB, and BMW. Audi/VW is the only car Mfg that offers the ability for the consumer to do diagnostics pretty much like the dealer. Vag-Com is a huge benefit in my mind. just 1 trip to the dealer pays for your own Vag
the 2.8 vrs the 4cyl turbo is pretty close in fuel economy, but Audi is not know for the best mileage, I get about 21-22 in my 1.8t A4 and 19-20 in my A6 2.8 (around town).

Sure you can... Honda, Toyota, & Nissan are all significantly cheaper to maintain... My Nissan was stupid cheap for repairs (until getting totaled last year).... (we have 4-5 cars at any given time - currently a B5, B6, Touareg, Corolla and a LS400)

The B5 definitely takes more and expensive work than the B6 (I have both)... my B6 just had its first real repair since new though ($700) in 9 years and 100k miles, so pretty happy. The B5 goes through wheel bearings, and front suspension components more than other cars I've had. ours just hit 180k, and needed a cat, both front axles, a turbo, hood latch, trunk struts, all 4 brake calipers, still needs suspension arms, one wheel bearing and bunch of other stuff.. would have cost a fortune if I had to pay somebody else (still wasn't cheap). If you pay a shop, I wouldn't buy any old used German car!

B6's are getting cheap enough that I don't think I'd get a B5 again unless dirt cheap - The B6 doesn't seem to have the suspension and bearing issues. I'd only get 1.8t also. V6 is more costly and sucky from a fun perspective.