A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Austin Texas Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 11:25 AM
Jimmy Row

Default Austin Texas Anyone?

Anyone here from Austin? Got my A4 at Charles Maund. Sorta sketchy compared to other dealers I've bought from. Can anyone tell me how the service department at Maund is?

.jimmy
Old 02-21-2000, 01:02 PM
MJ

Default I didn't like it. Very crowded b/c there are too many different kinds of cars being serviced ....

....there. Don McGill in Houston is very good if you every have a reason to go to Houston. I have heard Rod East is good also, but no experience on my part.

MJ
99.5 A4 2.8 in N. Austin
Old 02-21-2000, 01:24 PM
Jimmy Row

Default Re: I didn't like it b/c there are too many different kinds of cars being serviced.

I'm in N. Austin as well. Funny you mention it though, I do hit Houston about once a month. Probably wouldn't be a big deal to take it out there 2-3 times a year.

I've got a 99.5 A4Q w/ Tiptronic. Only had it about one week. How has yours been? Any troubles?

.jimmy
Old 02-21-2000, 02:57 PM
Bob W.

Default Let me put it to you this way...

Most of the discriminating Audi owners in Austin take their cars to Rod East VW/Audi in San Antonio....Charles Maund has a VERY poor reputation.
Old 02-21-2000, 04:20 PM
MJ

Default Re: I didn't like it b/c there are too many different kinds of cars being serviced.

I had the cruise control problem, but Don McGill found a very unique crimp in a vacuum hose to fix it. The fuel door lock whines a little when locked/unlocked, just needs to be lubed. Just a few nick picky things but no big deal. I don't see how people can expect a machine of such complexity to be completely perfect. Any way, Scott and Mark at McGill are great service reps and they should treat you well. Plus they offer rental cars so you can do your business in Houston while your car is serviced. I have heard of some Austin A4 get togethers from time to time so I know there are plenty of A4 people around.
Old 02-21-2000, 06:34 PM
kirk h

Default how much lead time for appts in SA or Houston?

For my Jetta, Chuck Maund would make me wait 2 weeks for an appointment just to get the oil changed and the other included service stuff. Plus, they would sometimes take more than a day to get to my car. They seemed to do OK work (although my VW really never had any problems to speak of). Seemed to me the Audis and VWs in the queue for service were just their for schedule maint, while the buicks and olds were there for major work.

If I make the trip to SA or Houston, how much time in advance do I need to make the appointment in order to get in and get out?

Kirk H / NW Austin
'00 A4 1.8t / turned 3 weeks old today
Old 02-21-2000, 07:31 PM
BillG

Default Not great - my recent experience (long)

I just recently brought my 99.5 A4 in for the 6mo. service visit. I'll try to keep this as factual as possible with a minumum of editorial content. My experience is as follows:

I called to schedule my appointment and was scheduled for a service date two weeks from the day of my call.

I took my car in on the scheduled date along with a list of issues/concerns
1) cruise control not functioning correctly
2) drivers side tweeter out
3) drivers seat play - very minor
4) 1-2 shift a bit "rough" - very minor

I was given a Toyota Camry loaner car while the work was being done.

I received a call that afternoon that my car hadn't been looked at yet it would be the next day and keep the loaner car.

The following day I received a call in the afternoon and the tech had just begun to look at my car - keep the loaner car.

The third day I was called in the morning that my car was ready. When I went in and looked at the list of work performed they had only looked at the items on my list and had not performed the routine maintenance - hang on to the loaner car.

Finally on the fourth day my car was ready. Results are as follows:

The cruise control was fixed

The tweeter is on order - I'll try to remember to report back how long this takes, however if some of the stories I've read here hold true I'll probably forget by then ;-)

The seat play was found to be withing spec as was the shifting action. I will admit that neither of these items are that bad on my car - not nearly the horror stories that I've read others experiencing here, but I did want to document this regardless.

My car had been parked under a tree and apparantly the birds in that neighborhood are eating well if you catch my drift.

Overall this was an underwhelming experience. As a side note, my wife and I are looking at station wagons and this hasn't helped to sway us towards the Passat 4motion (which is a contender and also sold my Charles Maund).

My car wasn't damaged in any way by the dealership (the birds aside) - no dents, scratches, stains, etc. My oil wasn't overfilled. I can't really get too fired up about taking my car to San Antonio for service. I really like my A4 a lot, but I guess that I'm not a "discriminating owner" as those folks previously mentioned. Bottom line - I just want to drive and enjoy this car. So far I'm still able to do just that.

All the best,
...BillG
Old 02-21-2000, 08:15 PM
JR

Default Our seats move as well. They've tried everything to fix it (within spec.).

This service was completed at Don McGill in Houston. Very, very great service department. We were treated extremely well.

Now, if we could glue the seats into place.

JR
'00 1.8T QMS Silver (ECU in Auburn, AL)
Old 02-22-2000, 05:50 AM
MJ

Default I have never had a problem with setting an appt. I usually call a least a week ahead and ....

..... they have accepted the time I need to get in. I have had to basic services done so far and they can be done while you wait.

MJ
Old 02-22-2000, 05:55 AM
MJ

Thats in Houston (Don McGill)

Quick Reply: Austin Texas Anyone?