A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Avant production delays

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-1999, 09:33 AM
DW

Default Avant production delays

I called AoA yesterday to try to get some answers on the 99.5 Avant delays. After several minutes of her telling me she knew nothing about any delays, she agreed to call my dealer to try to get some answers. <p>She called me back and told me she talked to a sales manager who told her that production was delayed due to "hatch modifications" confirming earlier posts here. She also told me that production was scheduled to resume week 16. This week? next week?<p>Bottom line- no Avants here for at least 1 month.<p>This delay is killing me and I already have an A4, and I've only been waiting since Feb 6th.<p>This must be pure torture for those who have been waiting since Nov.-Dec.<p>Hang in there, someday we will have our Avants.
Old 04-21-1999, 10:17 AM
VladN

Mine is scheduled for week 16 also, hmm...
Old 04-21-1999, 01:23 PM
sbr

Default torture indeed (long)

I do love those Audi cars, but this company makes it very difficult to buy one of their vehicles. My 5 (now to be 6) month wait is in addition to a 5-6 month earlier wait for the much advertised Passat GLX syncro wagon. When VW announced it was cancelling plans to import those to the US I shifted gears and ordered an A4 Avant. This of course was a blessing in disguise, except for this interminable wait! On the plus side, my dealer has offered to give me a loaner car for the latter part of May until my car arrives (I've long since sold my current car, and the new owner is chomping at the bit to take possession). My message to other Avant waiters: get your dealer to take the high road like mine is offering to do.
Old 04-21-1999, 05:04 PM
Dan Lee

Default Re: torture indeed (long)

I have had an Avant ordered since mid-January. The dealer agreed to furnish a loaned after the end of February. So my wife has been driving an A6 loaner since then. Still looking forward to getting the yellow sport Avant though.
Old 04-22-1999, 09:01 AM
Andrei D

Where are you from, VladN?
Old 04-22-1999, 08:52 PM
Greg Bullough

Default Boy, was I lucky

After I finally rationalized that an Avant 2.8 was the right thing for me<br>I ran into the 'it'll be a while' thing. As a lark I went to AutoByTel, and<br>a local dealer called with a 4000-mile young '98 in Laser Red, with<br>sport package and just about everything else. It was perfect, the price<br>was right, and I bought it on the spot. <p>The more I hear about the delays, the more I think that it was the best<br>impulse buy in history.<p>(Didn't hurt that someone else took the first year depreciation, paid the<br>destination charge, etc., even though I have the car at ten months of<br>age. No, it wasn't a demo. It was just too small for some family. Whatever.)