A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AW: Story--Audis US Diesel strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AW: Story--Audis US Diesel strategy

WTF!!
Why does US have such tough emission standarts for diesels??? US has the most diesel trucks(non pass emissions)
How high are our emission standards? Why the Europeans are having such a hard time making autos pass our EPA's ****. I thought Europe always had the leg up on that....
Anyone wanna explain this diesel ****.
VW had the V10 Tourag and pulled off the market. Me things it was because it did not mean crash standard(engine too close to the fire wall)
Old 07-19-2006, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Errr... no. It's because the diesel in the US is crap compared with Euro diesel.

So Euro Diesels can't run in US.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jack is 100% correct. its the US governents fault we dont have more Euro diesels here.

US diesel fuel contains too much sulfur which euro (more refined) diesel doesnt. And who regulates the fuel? hmmm.

in otherwords its hard to meet EPA emissions guidelines for diesel passenger cars when the fuel is already polluted.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:01 PM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default its a way of the epa to enforce us products will be preferred. however all the standards

are causing more trouble and issues in the long term run:

big diesel engines will have to follow stricter emissions guidelines, in order to do that they have to run hotter. running hotter means running harder which means that everything will have to be reinforced and make tougher.

making everything tougher will be making everything heavier, which in terms will be moving more weight across the whole track. more weight = more fuel use...

its a devils circle.

we are pricing out new apparatus for the firehouse including ambulances and a new pumper and with the new emissions specs the engine also gets a newer pricetag of like 5-10k$ more than the previous specs.

not to mention all the new engines will run into some of the baby problems that are always present with new things..

good bye america

its also another way of promiting non diesel use in the usa and to keep being stuck on the regular gas crave that this country has
Old 07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default *Ding!

Mr. Jack be correct on this one. Euro-Diesel is way more refined than the shizz we get here.
Automakers such as VAG and Daimler are pushing for higher standards in the US, but of coarse it always comes at a price....
Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I see, EPA/US Gov are dropping the ball........BAAASTARDS!!!

Not to get political here but BUSH needs to go!!
I'll vote for anyone.......Heck bring on Ross Perot, how bad can he be?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gives more justification to move to Europe =)

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2006, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In 2007, USLD (ultra low sulphur diesel) will be mandatory here in the States..

USLD is <15ppm sulphur. Right now Euro Diesel is <50 ppm sulphur. In 2011, "zero sulphur" diesel will be the standard in Europe. "Zero sulphur" is defined as <10 ppm. Diesel fuel here in the States is currently 500ppm sulphur. I believe that we will start seeing more Euro diesel automobiles here in the States once better quality fuel is available.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

actually as soon as Oct of '06 all stations carrying diesel will have to carry low sulfur diesel
Old 07-19-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Good friend of mine is a diesel mechanic and was telling me about the new fuel...

if you have a newer diesel car/truck with the low sulfur fuel specified for its use, you can't use the old fuel. I'm not sure what it will do, but it's important to check which diesel fuel you are using because it certainly can do damage.

Quick Reply: AW: Story--Audis US Diesel strategy