A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bad Luck A4: Large Repair Bill...Sell it or Keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Luck A4: Large Repair Bill...Sell it or Keep it?

Back in June I was in need of a vehicle, and I fell in love with a '99 A4. It belonged to an older woman, one owner by the car fax and confirmed by the old registration and documents she left in the owners manual. According to the salesman, she traded it in for a convertible, and I got a great price on the car at 90K miles. However, what has followed until now has left me wondering...am I that unlucky, and should I keep it or sell it?

I was aware there were a few things the car needed, so that was no surprise. Rear wheel bearings, timing belt/water pump service, valve cover gaskets, new tires, and some odds and ends. By July this had all been done, and I was set to go. I had no bad feelings about the car or the money I spent, because I knew it needed these things when I bought it.

Come September, I move to a different city, and the problems begin. I have a flight to Frankfurt, and with my bags packed, I go to leave for the airport, but the car is dead, won't start. In panic mode because of my flight, I quickly do a search for a reputable mechanic in the area because I don't know anyone in this new city. I find one, call a tow, and call a taxi, it seems all is well.

On the ground in Frankfurt the shop who received my car calls. No alternator problems, just the battery, they can replace it no problem. But, they also notice that the valve cover gaskets are leaking again, the coolant reservoir has a hairline crack, and they can fix that also. So reluctantly I give the green light, knowing I'll be gone for a week and they already have the car. Fly home, $700 later and all is well with the car.

October-suspension noise starts in the front right at speedbumps, I've got a small variation in my idle, a slight vibration on the road, and my valve cover gaskets are leaking AGAIN, as well as coolant from somewhere. I get a referral to a great Audi/VW mechanic ONLY. Saturday before Thanksgiving I go down to see him, and he takes the car in. I nervously await for the call.

Monday before Thanksgiving the phone rings with the news, and I've got no idea the shock I'm about to receive.

-Valve cover gaskets leaking (caused by Cam adjuster gaskets)
-Cam adjuster gaskets leaking
-Cam plugs leaking
-Both engine mounts blown
-Transmission mount blown
-Rear differential mount blown
-Tail shaft seal leaking
-Various vacuum lines around engine cracked, broken, or oily
-Needs fuel filter
-Radiator leaking
-Heater core leaking
-Upper control arms torn

They note that the reason the valve cover gaskets were leaking is because nobody bothered to change or inform me about the cam adjuster gaskets, which is where the true source of the leak was. The heater core PROBABLY leaks because the a$$ who changed my coolant reservoir filled my car with green coolant which caused a chemical reaction, and blah, blah, blah. The mounts and tail shaft seal are in succession...one fails, it wasn't fixed, so then the next, and the next, and the next, etc.

The shop gives me two choices.

1) Fix it all for over $4000
2) Bypass the heater core, leave the upper control arms, and fix everything else for around $3000.

I took the less expensive option, and they fixed everything except for the control arms and the heater core, which they bypassed. No fuel filter also. It was too difficult to get out, and they wanted to give me my car back (after a week and a half). I pick the car up, pay the bill, and drive home with no heat or defroster.

The very next day I get to work, get out of my car, and start walking to the office door. I hear a pop, turn around, and coolant is pouring from my vehicle. The bypass near the heater core came undone, and dumps coolant everywhere. My wife drives to a dealership, brings me a screwdriver (by this time, I wish it was on the rocks!) and G12 coolant, and I have to put the line back on and refill to make it home.

My suspension (presumably the upper control arms) still makes noise, my fuel filter still needs changed, and my heater core still needs fixed, all for around another $2000.

I love my car....but I wouldn't call it lucky by any means. I'm looking for feedback from die-hard Audi owners who have experience with this. If I didn't love the car I wouldn't have gone this far, and now I'm questioning whether I should take the next step.

Feedback, suggestions, comments, all are welcome. Thanks for reading, and sorry the post is so long.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

The only part of that story that sounds like bad luck is picking the wrong garage. $700 to replace VCG, battery and coolant tank? Yikes! Replacing the VCG's three times when the (well documented) problem is really the cam adjuster seals? Shameful. (BTW, cam adjuster seals don't "cause" valve cover leaks anymore that a dead battery causes a flat tire.

Time to learn to DIY.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The only part of that story that sounds like bad luck is picking the wrong garage. $700 to replace VCG, battery and coolant tank? Yikes! Replacing the VCG's three times when the (well documented) problem is really the cam adjuster seals? Shameful. (BTW, cam adjuster seals don't "cause" valve cover leaks anymore that a dead battery causes a flat tire.

Time to learn to DIY.
Both shops sound like rip-offs to me. $4000 and no heater?

They saw you coming!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4

Time to learn to DIY.
I feel the same for the first garage, but not so sure about the second.

The first garage I was in a pinch, and had extremely limited options. They will never get my business again.

The second...VW Audi only, and they come highly recommended. They did make me comfortable in the fact that everything was very well explained, all the old parts were shown and explained to me in detail when I picked it up, and they were very good at communicating the problems and my options.

Regarding the VCG and CAS', I phrased that wrong. Yes, the valve cover gaskets were leaking, yes it was done twice incorrectly, but no, no other garage even noticed or mentioned them while they were doing the job right under their noses. I shouldn't have written "caused" but more like "underlying problem that nobody else caught".

DIY...it would have been possible in the past, but due to a recent move I no longer have a garage, and it's not allowed to work on your vehicle in our new community.

But the main questions...

-Are these common issues, am I unlucky with the car, or is every garage giving me the shaft?

-If it was yours, would you keep it?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

The Audi/VW mechanic can't change the fuel filter because it's too hard to get out? That sounds fishy. Did you have any hint that the heater core was leaking, such as coolant smell, or wet carpet? If not, I'd hook that back up so you and your wife have a working heater.

Are these problems common, and would I keep it? None of the problems that you mentioned are unheard of. Keeping the A4 is a personal decision, obviously folks at the B5 forum want to keep their cars. Just have that mechanic prove whatever repairs he wants to do are really necessary.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have the time and can get around with another Car,,, Fix it yourself one thing at a time. If not,, I would get rid of it and next time do a little inspection before you buy.. IF you have someone else fix all these problems,, The Value won't be the Same...
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
The Audi/VW mechanic can't change the fuel filter because it's too hard to get out? That sounds fishy. Did you have any hint that the heater core was leaking, such as coolant smell, or wet carpet? If not, I'd hook that back up so you and your wife have a working heater.

Are these problems common, and would I keep it? None of the problems that you mentioned are unheard of. Keeping the A4 is a personal decision, obviously folks at the B5 forum want to keep their cars. Just have that mechanic prove whatever repairs he wants to do are really necessary.
The bolt that holds the fuel filter on is rusted and stripped. Yes, they could have done it, but I had to turn in my rental car that day, and they already said the car was ready. To get it off would take a lot more work, and it's possible they would have to drop the whole tank to get the bolt out.

Until the point when I took it in, no, I never experienced coolant smell or wet carpet in the car. But, there was a coolant leak. They replaced the radiator, and bypassed the heater core because they said both were leaking.

I thought about hooking it back up just to see for myself, but they recommended fixing it or bypassing it. If I do hook it back up, what are the risks? A slow leak in the cabin only, or does this thing have the possibility of letting loose and flooding my car with coolant?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have almost the exact same story but maybe with a better ending.. at least $5k of work, but just did it myself over a couple weekends. I got a 99' earlier this year. Seller was an honest older woman and was the original owner (sound familiar?). The interior was about perfect, and the outside not bad for the miles, but her shop had not been taking care of her. She volunteered to have it rechecked out and repaired at her cost, but I took a discount on the purchase price instead; I should have checked it over closer or taken it to another shop before purchase! Once I got it home and within a few weeks I had repaired:

Hood latch (end broke off)
Trunk struts
Various vac lines and check valves
Turbo - Replaced with K04
Cat (broke off) - Replaced with test pipe
Downpipe repair (replaced flex joint)
Both front axles
Entire front suspension (multiple bad arms and tie rod end)
LF Shock
Strut tops
LR window regulator
Wheels and tires (Tires had looked good, but were dangerously bad - wheels because I had spare good 16" ones)
Pads and rotors
Service the calipers and sliders
Fuel filter (worst part of all the repairs - WHAT A HASSLE!)

I probably spent near $2k, but on the other hand, I have a car that drives like new with all new components where they count, which gives me the piece of mind to do long trips in it with the family, and be confident in their safety in the snow.

After all that work, my hopped up B6 (102k) started acting up and I had to do a bunch of under hood stuff on that - split vac lines/check valves everywhere, valve cover gasket, plugs, loose exhaust manifold, Alternator ($$!) misc other stuff (had gone through it and did timing belt and lots of other stuff at 60k). Seems like they need some attention around 100k, though the B6 is definitely better than the B5, they both go through the rubber and plastic stuff under the hood more than they should. I'm quite happy with the both of them, but if you are paying somebody else to do the work, a 100K B5 is probably not the best choice. Good news is they are not particularly hard to work on (I understand you can't where you are). Every year the A4 has gotten better, so get as new as you can. I had a 01 I bought new, and its definitely better than my 99 in design.

Last edited by Spinnetti; 12-05-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Checked it out....

I took the advice and checked it out. Despite not being allowed to work on cars in our community, it's early Sunday and I took the chance of everyone sleeping or at church.

I hooked the heater core back up, and it is indeed leaking, but not into the cabin. It's coming out of the rubber firewall boot, and seems to be from the drivers side line.

Does the boot come off easily? Perhaps it's something that I can solder if it's just a crack in the pipe under the boot?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's not that I wouldn't mind doing it myself, I am just limited location wise and also time wise.

I really do love the car, and I'd rather not take on a new one at the moment, so I'm pretty sure that I'll just wade on through this BS and hopefully the problems will settle soon.

Quick Reply: Bad Luck A4: Large Repair Bill...Sell it or Keep it?