A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Best time to buy a 1999 A4 1.8T?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1998, 04:43 PM
mshan

Default Best time to buy a 1999 A4 1.8T?

I am interested in purchasing a 1999 A4 1.8T (automatic/sunroof/Bose audio system) some time in the near future (probably using the CarBargains pricing service).<p>1) Will I get a better deal (ideally, 4% above invoice) if I wait until January of next year? <p>2) Also, are there any new shipments of A4s due betwen now and then?<p>3) Finally, will the introduction of the revised 99.5 A4 in February 1999 lead to clearance pricing (what do you think the minimum % over invoice dealer will accept?) in the spring of 1999?<p>Thanks.
Old 11-29-1998, 05:46 PM
JIM H.

Default Re: Best time to buy a 1999 A4 1.8T?

Maybe I can help. The best time, in the near future, to buy an A4 will be during the month of December; two reasons: Audi is pulling out the stops to regester EVERY sale they possibly can for 1998, and the supply of most cars is usually plentiful during the month of December because that's the FACTORY'S clearance month. Plenty of cars + hungry to sell them = December. I don't realistically see enough of an excess of '99s in Mar. - Apr. when the 99.5s will start to arrive to<br>believe that there will be any dramatic savings on the few '99s that are left. I also believe that, considering the small price REDUCTION that we saw when the '99s started to arrive, the factory almost certainly will bump up the '99.5s.
Old 11-29-1998, 06:35 PM
Bob

Default Help Jim!

I went to my local Audi dealer tonight hoping to make a deal and place an order on an A4 1.8T FrontTrak Manual with Sports Package and Sunroof. I knew exactly what color and interior I wanted and was not interested in compromising for something in stock. Armed with all my homework (dealer invoice vs. MSRP) and your advice ($1,200 to 1,500 over invoice would be a fair price for buyer and dealer), I sat down and offered $1,000 over invoice hoping for a counter offer somewhere in the range you suggested. While the saleswoman seemed game, I was introduced to the sales manager who flatly refused to bargain on any model that would be ordered and only offered about $500 off any in-stock models. I was shocked. There was no attempt whatsoever to negotiate or bargain. It was "take it or leave." So I left it. Any advice?<p>By the way, I'm not a twentysomething kid with questionable credit. I'm a fortysomething businessman with a successul design studio just a few blocks from the dealer.
Old 11-29-1998, 06:48 PM
Josh

Don't Audis sold in January count for year before?
Old 11-30-1998, 03:51 AM
jbm

Default Re: Help Jim!

If you are wiliing to buy out of town call White-Allen Audi,West carrollton,OH.888-291-0222.Talk with Jim Kash.
Old 11-30-1998, 06:33 AM
T2

Default My experience last Dec.

From my experience last year (Dec. 27), I'd suggest going to your dealer the last week of December, hope for a good selection, and try to get something like $700 over invoice. I went in planning to order a 1.8T to get exactly what I wanted. The dealer said $1500 over invoice for ordering or $700 over invoice for any A4 on the lot. I chose one off the lot, and I was fortunate that there was a very good selection available. Good luck.<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 11-30-1998, 06:57 AM
Bob

Default How Does That Work?

How does that work if I live in Pasadena, CA? How complicated/expensive to have the car delivered to me?
Old 11-30-1998, 11:08 AM
John Munoz

Default Re: Help Jim!

First bit of advise, go to: http://edmunds.com/edweb/burkleon/contents.html and read all 9 chapters. The author provides some innovative as well as some tried and true techniques on how to get the best deal at the dealer. Remember, there is no such thing as a "fair price" for the dealer, only the best price for you, the customer.<p>I've been in the market for a 1.8 Quattro with manual trans and all options except trip computer and sport seats for over 2 months now. The selection has been meager (in in the PA/NJ area). The best I've been able to do so far is $27,766, that's $1,566 over invoice, and too high for me. I'm going to take T2's advise and try again at the end of December. Also, dealers will sell cars on the lot for much less than cars on order. They are incented to move inventory.<p>Good luck.
Old 11-30-1998, 08:46 PM
JIM H.

Default Bob: simple-next dealer. $1200. on an ordered FWD A4 is a win-win. Take your business elsewhere!nt

nt
Old 11-30-1998, 08:49 PM
H.STUCK

Default John: call Jim H. - he'll put you in a car at a fair $$$.He's outside of Phila,Pa.nt

nt

Quick Reply: Best time to buy a 1999 A4 1.8T?