A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Black shiny tires- I Picked up Turtle Wax "Tire Wax" this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-1999, 07:48 AM
Scott

Default Black shiny tires- I Picked up Turtle Wax "Tire Wax" this weekend

I havent used it yet, but it is a bottle that you put onto an applicator sponge and wax your tires for a shiny black look (similar to Black Magic, Tire Wet, etc.) They claim that it doesnt fly off onto the sides of the car like the other products. I havent tried it yet...Has anyone used this? Results?
Old 04-12-1999, 08:46 AM
Dan Gabriel

Default Re: Black shiny tires- I Picked up Turtle Wax "Tire Wax" this weekend

I have used this product for about a week now. It shines as well, or better than, most of the liquid products I've used. It also dries to a solid substance and doesn't seem to come off the tires. However, I'm not sure how long it'll last once I drive the car in the rain. So far, I would recommend it to anyone since it seems as good as anything out there for about the same price!<p>Dan<br>98.5 A4 2.8 QMS
Old 04-12-1999, 09:13 AM
John M

Great, I've been looking for something to make my tires shiny without crapping up my rims with nasty little run lines! 1.8T QMS
Old 04-12-1999, 09:41 AM
Loreon

Default Doesn't this stuff tend to dry out the rubber?...

...also, wouldn't you compromise road grip on quick turns under wet conditions?<p>I like clean tires but waxing them seems a bit ****.... does look sharp though!
Old 04-12-1999, 12:05 PM
JimSr

Default Re: Great, I've been looking for something to make my tires shiny without crapping up my rims with nasty little run lines! 1.8T QMS

I really like Meguiars "Endurance" for neatness - it is a cream that is applied with a supplied contoured sponge that conforms to the shape of the sidewall, and is tapered to fit right against the rim without overlapping. Seems to last pretty well so far - it has been on a week and is still noticeable.
Old 04-12-1999, 02:47 PM
igor

Stoner MSLT is the best I've found so far
Old 05-07-1999, 03:32 PM
G. Hale

Default Similar plans from BMW and Mercedes.....

According to an article by Csaba Csere in C&D, BMW has a 3.9L Twin-Turbo Diesel planned for the 740d. This engine produces 235hp at 4k rpm and 413lb-ft. of torque at as little as 1750 rpm. He mentions that's enough to push the 740d to 150mph while burning less fuel than a 528i manual.<p>Although the article is mainly about the BMW, he does mention that Audi and Mercedes have similar plans for a Diesel engine. Also according to Dr. Fritz Indra, who once created turbo-charged horsepower for Audi and BMW tuner Alpina, and is now the engineering director of GM's Advanced Powertrain Group, he expects future high-performance engines to all be diesels.<p>G. Hale<br>'98.5 2.8 QMS
Old 05-08-1999, 02:27 AM
ChuckH

I've thought about a Jetta TDi as a commuter. Need to go drive one though to see if I like it. :-)
Old 05-08-1999, 02:56 AM
G. Hale

Default Re: They wouldn't sell.

I would buy one. I tested the Diesel Beetle and that new engine is almost as quiet as it's gas counterpart. I currently have two Diesel Rabbit's..... Not much HP, but a ton of torque for a little 1.6L (non-Turbo).
Old 05-09-1999, 12:26 AM
ChuckH

Default You have two diesel Rabbits? I...

...had an '81 Rabbit Diesel LS 2 door as my first car. Looking back, I wish I had kept it. It was an excellent and economical commuter car, and was nicely appointed. I sold it at 88K miles, and it was in very good condition. Oddly enough, I drove an '83 4 door turbo diesel a couple years ago when a friend of mine was looking for a cheap commuter, and it felt much slower than how I remembered mine. I'd say that, at best, the turbo made up for the extra weight of the 4 door, but added no real performance gain.<p>Charles<p>PS: I miss the teeth rattling cold starts, and the 53 MPG! :-)<p>