A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

bmw and audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw and audi

when were both companies established? anyone know? why is it that bmw seems a it more advance in terms of performance?
Old 03-08-2002, 11:03 AM

well i guess you could say audi started in 1909. not sure about bimmer.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Um lets see an RS4 is not advanced performance enough for you? How bout an RS6

Maybe you need to download that video of the RS4 smoking the 360 Modena. With quattro to deliever that much power to the ground I would say audi has their crap together performance wise.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horsch started making cars around 1909...BMW officially became BMW in 1922

Although the name bmw started in 1917, BFW and BMW came together to start making automobiles/motorcycles in 1922, I believe.

BMW first made airplane engines, and that's why their engines are so much more advanced. It's what they started doing.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:10 AM

Default Re: bmw and audi

I guess technically the were formed about the same time, but the way I understand it, Audi grew out of 4 separate companies forming Auto Union. This is the nature of the 4 rings.

Both companies are fairly equal on technology. They have just focused their efforts in different areas. Audi has a more rounded approach, with a focus on Quattro. I have been told that the progression of the Quattro technology is migrated from Audi through to the other "sister" marques. For instance, my 1996 Porsche Carrera 4 has the older style AWD system than what the 1996 Audi would have had.

BMW tends to be a little more Teutonic with the focus being on the driver's experience. The driver has a much better communication with the road than what the equivilent Audi would have.

Between the two, the Audi seems more luxurious to me, but the BMW is definitely more of a driver's car.

Having owned both, actually all three, each has their strengths and weaknesses that almost mirror each other in the categories of sport and luxury.

From most sporty to least...
Porsche, BMW, Audi

From most luxurious to least...
Audi, BMW, Porsche
Old 03-08-2002, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default WHOA Movie man..

typical of an Audi elitest..

AntiHeroMan stated his point quite clear, and quite honest. To say that Audi has the best of breed in every class is absolutly false. Just as you may think that Audi is the best suitable answer to everyone else's automotive needs, I guarantee if you went over to bimmer board, that you would here someone else spouting off on how much better their BMW is over an Audi. Let's compare apples to apples here.. Just because these vehicle is question all have 4-wheels, does not make them identical in any or every way.

Sorry if I sound brash, but I am tired of reading peoples posts that obviously have very little insite or thought in them. Look at the (4) series Audi and compare that to the (3) series BMW.. The Audi is without a doubt more luxurious.. The BMW is more refined in a drivers sense. Have you ever driven one? If you have, you would know what I am talking about. More responsive throttle response as well a higher precision driving response.

Just keepin it real.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:58 PM

Default Audi Ireland has a decent overview of Audi's history...

Here's the URL

http://www.audi.ie/history/go.html

But why is anyone with half a brain arguing Audi v. BMW. This isn't exacty Ford v. Chevy here. Audi and BMW both make exceptional cars. Personally I like Audis better, but I'm not going to tell someone that their 3-series is a POS, because it's not.